Search the forum,

Discuss Embedding shower screen in tiles... in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jayney71

Hi everyone...

This is really difficult to describe but I'll try my best!...

We're having an en suite fitted and the shower is a wet-room type with no visible tray. The shower is separated from the rest of the room by a thick nib wall which will have a piece of glass as a screen set into it and then a gap to allow access... so approx 1/3 of the width of the room is nib wall, then 1/3 screen, then 1/3 gap. The nib wall will be tiled around and the glass embedded in a slot by approx 100mm with the tiling running up to it on both sides.

What I'm having trouble with is that I think we'll be able to see the cut edges of the tiles where they butt up to the glass from the opposite sides (through the glass) and possibly further into the slot behind the tiles when looking from an angle.

If anyone understands this I'd really appreciate any ideas! The only idea I've thought of is having the section of glass that goes into the slot painted/coloured in a dark grey but I've no idea how to do this and whether it'd be waterproof.

Looking forward to any ideas :)

Jayney

J

Jayney71

Use an aluminium "U" profile to sit the glass in.

Thanks... but as the glass is embedded by 100mm it would have be a very tall U, wouldn't it?... and how would the aluminium profile be fixed?...and we'd have to do something similar in the slot on the floor? We're relying on the depth of the slot to support the glass so we don't need to have the clutter of brackets etc.
Sorry for so many questions.... I just need to understand how and if this would work.
J

W

WetSaw

l-shape-silver-trim-chrome.jpg

J

Jayney71

View attachment 99548 I assume you're going for something similar to this without the top brackets?
Have you had the glass specified by someone because a piece of glass unsupported that size is going to be very thick and heavy.
The tile trim is fitted with the perforated side under the tile.

The visible piece of glass would only be about 300mm wide with another 100mm embedded in the nib wall and also set into a slot in the floor... and yes, without any brackets... so we're sure it will be ok. It's just we don't want it looking a mess and we're very fussy!

The tile trim option would only hide the cut edges of the tiles either side of the slot opening but then we'd still be able to see further down, wouldn't we?

Jx

J

Jayney71

So your glass you have is 400mm. You want to slide the glass into the nib 100 mm, leaving only 300mm exposed?

There’s profiles you can get for the wall and floor, I use mainly majestic screens. That are almost invisible.

I certainly wouldn’t be burying the glass 4 inches in the wall.

Hmmm, seems like this might not have been the best idea! Can you recommend a profile?

J

Lakey

TF
Crawley
J

Jayney71

Thanks Lakey,

We do have a profile called DECO-SG (Schlüter®-DECO-SG | Function | Schlüter-Systems - http://www.schluter.co.uk/deco-sg.aspx) which can be used to integrate a shower screen. Call the office on 01530 813396 or email [email protected] if you'd like to find your nearest reseller, arrange a sample or have any questions.

Hi

I've just looked at that and it would be possible for us to use it in the wall but our floor tiles are already laid with a slot cut for the glass so we wouldn't be able to set the flange underneath the tiles. Do Schluter do a plain U channel (without the flange)?

We've already used FINEC for corners (which looks really neat) in the stone grey and dark graphite colours. Do you do the DECO-SG and/or any other U channel to match the stone grey, or in stainless steel which would match our slot drain?

Many thanks
J

Reply to Embedding shower screen in tiles... in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement