Search the forum,

Discuss drying limestone before sealing,any tips? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mick O'B

Hi,

I've recently fitted a bathroom in my new LG floor flat i thought i would treat myself to some stone tiles. Its coming up to four weeks now since they were laid and although they are showing signs of drying they are still way off being dry enough to start sealing. I've tried all sorts blower/hot air/dehumidifier combinations but nothing seems to has much effect.
Is this normal?has anyone else experienced this?any advice would be greatly welcomed.

many thanks in advance,

Mick.

J

jay

hi and welcome to the forum can you give us a bit more info thanks whats the substrate what adhesive was used how were they laid and last how do you know they still have moisture in them pics might help

M

Mick O'B

Hi Jay,
thanks for your quick response,the floor is concrete,walls are plaster,and boxing in is wedi board.the adhesive was mapei keraflex white.all three areas,plaster, wedi, and concrete and drying at the same rate,(floor alittle bit slower maybe).
having problems uploading a pic at the mo, the tiles light cream in colour,at the mo they are randomly patchy ,dark and light.none of the patches seem to indicate that dot and dab technique was used.

thanks ,

Mick.

M

Mick O'B

Hi Doug,

thanks for gettting in touch.The concrete floor has been down for years.
I've since spoken to mapei tech support and they have told me that they do not recommend that this adhesive is used with limestone.
It looks like the stone has sucked up moisture from the slow set and its stained the stones.
I have a meeting with my tiler tomorrow so that should be interesting.Hes said that white adhesive should not stain stone,is this true??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mick.

E

enduro

I use Keraflex on limestone and never had a problem, even in Mapei product range book it says you can use on stone.

D

Daz

I'd also be concerned with the weight of the limestone adhered to a plastered wall. This smacks of a tiler that doesn't really know too much about working with stones, however, without the full picture I could be blowing smoke.

For the record, personally, I use Mapei Keraquick white when working with limestone.

I hope you meeting goes well.

Daz

Reply to drying limestone before sealing,any tips? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen