Discuss Can i tile before heating commisioned? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Barnjules

Hi everyone!
I'm doing a barn conversion with wet ufh on ground floor,and want to get on with the tiling,but the heating system has not yet been installed,yet alone commissioned. I have heard that the heating should be run before tiling,but I'm unsure why..is it simply to ensure that the screed is dry enough?

I have an anhydrite screed,50mm thick
Poured over 4 months ago..building has been well ventilated all summer.
The area to be tiled is 3x5m ish (kitchen) plus a very small 2x3m hallway.
I'll be laying porcelain or maybe natural slate tiles and plan to use Tilemaster Anhyfix (cos I've heard it's good for the job)..with no ditra.

Soo..given that a moisture reading is low enough (0.5%??)..am i good to go?

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice

Cheers,
Jules

A

Aston

Do not tile until the under floor heating system has been commissioned! You need to do this so that the screed has time to gently expand and contract to its final point, otherwise it can severly crack or even debond in places. NOW image if that happened AFTER you tiled? £££££'s

Last edited by a moderator:
O

On one

So,if i'm reading this correctly the anhydrite screed has been down 4months and has been drying all summer,but the water UFH has not yet been installed,yet alone commissioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Barnjules

Wow thanks for the prompt replies. Just got back after a long day plastering..
Yep,what i meant was the boiler,thermal store etc (ie heat source) has not yet been installed. I have only fitted the ufh pipes and manifold at this point.

Aston..thanks for that,now i understand. No hurry to choose tiles then!

How long do you reckon the heating should be run for until the screed has settled..days,weeks?

Reply to Can i tile before heating commisioned? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks