Search the forum,

Discuss Can I Haf cut porcalain tiles ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

No Clue Glue

Hi Guys...

Ok this may seem like a daft question but...

I have bought some large format 1200 x 150 tiles, there 12mm thick and i would like to cut some lines (half cut for grout) to make them appear smaller (say 400 x 150) can i just set up a cross cut with a stone blade (3mm) and adjust the depth of cut or am i going to run ito probs ?...

sorry to sound like a dimwitt but this is a diy job and the tile were such a bargain i dont mind the extra work, (first large format tile job)

also any advise on weight & fixing - they weigh 27kgm2 and will be fixed on plastered block & 12.5mm geen plasterboard (battons at 300mm)
(bathroom with shower over bath)

Thanks

Steve (long time reader 1st time poster

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What type tile are they? If they're porcelain you might be able to do it providing they're full-bodied (or fully vitrified to give it the right name) which means the whole tile is made up of the same material, which is very touch, actually the toughest man-made tile.

If it's porcelain glaze, with a biscuit back, or ceramic tile again with a biscuit back, you have no chance.

If they're stone, and thick enough (not sure 12mm is classed as a thick stone), you'll be able to do it, but stone can be weak, epsecially when you're causing weak points.

Why don't you just cut the tiles to the size you want, and then tile with them, and grout and normal?

Not too sure what machine would do it if you did go for it, you'd need a table-top wet cutter with an adjustable height (I don't know if they even exist, usually the height is set to cut right through the tile you see).

Give us a bit more info on the tile type and you might find one of the guys has done it or seen it done or something. It's not something I'd like to do to be honest.

G

Gazzer

Just the job for a Dewalt DW24000 :thumbsup: Actually A rubi bridge cutter would be ok too as long as you could lock the height to go only partly through the tile.

N

No Clue Glue

Hi Dan...

Thanks for the quick reply...
Yes there fully vitrified (the same colour all the way through)..
I have a wet cutter but i cant adjust the height, i was thinking of using a shop saw with a stone blade (dewalt radial arm) this way i could set the depth & stop and rattle a load out (faster but dustier than the wet cut)... Just wondered if it had been done... the edges of the tiles look to have been machine cut so no worries with bevels ect (as long as the cut i do is clean)
Or as you suggest simply cut to the size i want with the wet cutter....

Any advise on goo ?

G

Gazzer

Hmmm only trouble with the dewalt would be that the distance from blade to arm is 33cm, A bridge cutter would be best option.

C

Col

Hi mate have you done job with these tiles yet as I am thinking of doing a job with same size tiles and would like to see what they looked liked
cheers colin
ps if you have would be good to see via jpeg

Reply to Can I Haf cut porcalain tiles ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen