Search the forum,

Discuss British Ceramic Tile Problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dave Ramsden

I have been to see another tilers customer tonight regarding "tile staining".

On arrival I met a lovely woman who couldn't praise her tiler enough. I was shown the area in question, a small wet room tiled in 8"x8" British Ceramic Tile Matt White Finish. Nice job until the client sprayed the shower over the walls to reveal blue, vien-like staining across tiles on two walls.
On closer inspection I noticed at the center of each "vien stain" was a hairline fracture in the glaze which I assume is letting water through and causing the biscuit of the tile to stain temporarily.
Has anyone else had a problem with this tile as no-one seems to have an anser and clearly the situation needs resolving.

Personally, I have got nothing to do with the job in question but as an outsider looking in, Id like to help everyone concerned.

I have attached some pictures

Attachments

• tile8.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 61
  • tile7.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 57
  • tile6.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 57
  • tile5.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 52
  • tile4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 58
  • tile3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 45
  • tile2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 45
  • tile1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 49
D

DHTiling

Oooooow not good.. did you say the glaze was fractured or the tile biscuit..?

and what adhesive was used.?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
went to see a similar job where brit ceramics had been used in a domestic shower area about 6 months ago

wasnt stained right across the tiles however when you sprayed water from the shower on the tiles all the edges went discoloured like the opnes in your pics

there was also 4 tiles in non water areas which were permanently stained like that around the edges

tiler had also been back to rectify 4 prior to that as well

bit of a mystery tbh,,job was fine as well but the customer not happy

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sounds like it could be another case of crazing? Not your usual type I grant you, but possible:yikes:

D

Dave Ramsden

Just the glaze dave.

Its sounds like a similar problem Kilty, the cracking/staining is curved, straight, point to point, basically all over the place but only on two walls. Under the shower head the "staining" takes longest to disappear.

On inspection today I have noticed hairline cracks down tiles on the return of the partition that makes the entrance to the wet room. These cracks run downwards and when wet... hey presto, they stain just like the tiles on the other walls.

If the glaze crazes that easily the biscuit of the tile will surely be weakened also.

IMO, thinly applied glaze = cost cutting...

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i have used these tiles a number of times without issue but was baffled when i saw the shaded ones on that job i lookd at

T

Time's Ran Out

In most cases the tile manufacturers usually state that 'crazing is an inherent feature of ceramic glazed tiles, however in your case I would suggest that the problem has definitely affected the suitability/performance and would get the manufacturers involved.

Reply to British Ceramic Tile Problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen