Discuss Best route into the industry?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mattp

Hi all,

I'm after some advice! I've been contemplating a career in the construction industry for some time now after buying my own house and doing the majority of the work (I was able to do) myself. I did tile my own kitchen and really enjoyed it, hence would like to change my career and work as a tiler. Other than my 1 DIY job at home, I don't have any experienece, but I am willing to learn, enthusiastic and happy to work hard to get where I want to be.
I'm unsure of the best route to follow. Am I best researching a number of training companies and paying for a course privately, then looking for work as a trainee/apprentice or is it generally better to try and gain work with a company/tiler as a complete novice?
I'm just about to turn 25, I'm not sure if that has any impact on being eligible for government funded NVQ's, if so, is this likely to have an impact on people wanting to employ me?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Matt

C

charlie1

Hi ,MATTP

You will find it extreamly difficult to get a with a company/ tiler as a novice as when you are trained you will be dirrect compitition to the guy who trained you. Your best route in to the industry would be to go on a 1 or 2 week course (i recomend NETT) and find work privatly yourself.

Good luck:thumbsup:

M

mattp

Thanks guys. I always worry that the 1 & 2 week courses won't give me enough knowledge to actually go and start some jobs myself. In regards to the NVQ, from the researching I've done, is that easy enough to gain once I've been working for a while and have some experience?

C

charlie1

Thanks guys. I always worry that the 1 & 2 week courses won't give me enough knowledge to actually go and start some jobs myself. In regards to the NVQ, from the researching I've done, is that easy enough to gain once I've been working for a while and have some experience?

5 years minimum experience. I'm told

:thumbsup:

M

Matthew77

I think that a 2 week course may be a little bit short I'd go for a bit longer than that at least a 4 week course & even think about doing your nvq as this will open up more importunity's for work , but saying that as long as you keep your work to a high standard you can probably learn alot from those 2 or 4 weeks.

I'd say that it is all down to experience but if you stick with jobs that you are comfortable with (say starting with kitchen splashbacks) & if you have a local tile shop that is good they will advise you on what adhesives sealer's etc you need so as long as you can work cleanly, have a good tool kit (for cutting porcelain & hard stone)& work to a high standard you should be fine. Also this forum is always really handy for advice on any jobs you are not sure about.

Bottom line I think is that after a short course like 2 weeks you will be taught the basics of tiling, which from that you will have to build your experience & knowledge.

I'm self taught, I have no qualifications but I have been working in the building trade for a while before becoming self employed & had tiled a fair few floors & walls in previous employment.

hope this helps

Matt

Reply to Best route into the industry?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22