Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Applying Mastic.. Best Way Possible in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Goooood mawnnning!!! (Weather lady on bbc)
Well the million dollar question, what's the best way to apply mastic to shower and bath areas?? And. ( not) make it look like a sows ear! Have heard and tried loads of different ideas, one which said spray pledge furniture polish on mastic to get a smoother finish! All answer would be appreciated, maybe a few pics of best and worst...??

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
First of all get a good quality silicone (mastic is for decorators isn't it?!). What I'd always do is run masking tape down the tile and the bath (for example) leaving about 4mm gap (so when the silicone is stretching over the two, it's about 6mm diagonally - if that makes sense). Then when you're ready, quickly run the silicone down where you want it, use a cup of water to dip your finger in it, and quickly smooth it off, just once, don't keep messing with it, and while it's still tacky carefully pull both masking tapes off at the same time.

Leaves a lovely thin bead that's got a straight edge either side and hasn't got finger marks in it all over the place.

Silicone is cancerous (not sure if it still is, but I'm sure it used to be?), so don't like your finger and use it, then lick it again. Always wash silicone off you as fast as you can.

You can also get some decent tools for silicone, I'll try to find some threads for you.

O

Old Mod

Topps do a silicone tape dispenser which is adjustable.
Effectively it dispenses two strips of metallic tape at the same time. U can adjust width too.
Not used it, I've got one, but I don't do silicone! Haha don't do enough anymore, so my technique has suffered.
But once silicone is applied u can get a spray gun like window cleaning fluid bottle and fill with water and a drop of washing up liquid and a VERY light spray over top. Then run ur finger over and remove tape, if u use tape that is.
U shouldn't actually put anything on or under silicone, it can effect its integrity.
But most seem to spray afterward even glass companies.
They use a special glass cleaner after silicone work I'll try find it in my notes.
Good silicone work is practise and cutting nozzle to right size!

O

Old Mod

M

Mr Tiler

Get the mastic man to do it lol. Failing that a thin bead and a wet finger does the trick no need to waste any either like these plumbers vids on youtube show you scraping up half of the tube nahhhhh mate

U

Unused Account 1

Keep a spray bottle with water and washing up liquid in for silicone,apply silicone and then when tacky apply spray lightly to silicone and spray finger run down continuously,hard at first but with practice get great smooth finish,if to much turn finger round and use nail to get rid of excess ,alwaysspraying finger and silicone,also it just slides of finger due to soapy water leaving clean fingers

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
My method:
Wipe down where you want to silicone. I use methylated spirit and a square of Plenty (Bounty).
Choose the correct size profiling tool for your joint.
Cut 45 degree angle on your silicone tube cap.
Apply silicone in a controlled manor. i.e. not splodges. Keep your hands steady. Apply a max length of about 500mm.
Run your profiling tool over the silicone, but stop to remove excess silicone from your tool about every 100mm.
Wipe excess silicone from your tool with a baby wipe (pack of 56 Johnson & Johnson wipes from the pound shop).
Now wipe your finger on a baby wipe and then smooth off the silicone in the joint. Keep wiping your finger to keep it moist.

Stand back and admire your handywork!

Sometimes I don't use a profiling tool, just my finger. I normally use Weber colour coded to grout silicone.

P

p4ulo

I love the siliconing, to me its the most satisfying part of any tile job cos it suddenly looks all clean and finished.
Got two FUGI kits for the profiling, but honestly, the best kit I ever had was a £4.99 one from Lidl, brilliant, and lasted much longer before fraying at the edges!
I didn't know silicone was cancerous, I've probably ingested a few fingers full over the years, ouch!
I tried the spray bottle method once but it didn't go well for me, I guess I over sprayed maybe....
I squeeze it in thick, lick finger and run it along to push into joint, then finish with a single pass of a profiler. I use an old margarine tub to wipe my tool on (ooer!) and it helps me to keep clean!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the siliconing, to me its the most satisfying part of any tile job cos it suddenly looks all clean and finished.
Got two FUGI kits for the profiling, but honestly, the best kit I ever had was a £4.99 one from Lidl, brilliant, and lasted much longer before fraying at the edges!
I didn't know silicone was cancerous, I've probably ingested a few fingers full over the years, ouch!
I tried the spray bottle method once but it didn't go well for me, I guess I over sprayed maybe....
I squeeze it in thick, lick finger and run it along to push into joint, then finish with a single pass of a profiler. I use an old margarine tub to wipe my tool on (ooer!) and it helps me to keep clean!
Might need to dig into it more but a quick search brings up the C word a couple of times.

image.jpg

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Spray bottle, Everbuild wipes and finger for me. Only thing I perhaps do different is I tend to run my finger both ways. Once down the joint, wipe, once up the joint. Evens the silicone out on the grout joint that cuts across it.

W

White Room

Keep a spray bottle with water and washing up liquid in for silicone,apply silicone and then when tacky apply spray lightly to silicone and spray finger run down continuously,hard at first but with practice get great smooth finish,if to much turn finger round and use nail to get rid of excess ,alwaysspraying finger and silicone,also it just slides of finger due to soapy water leaving clean fingers
Same as but use a silicone finger thing, saves cutting myself on any sharp edges of the tile.

Reply to Applying Mastic.. Best Way Possible in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks