Search the forum,

Discuss Am I a kitchen worktop consultant? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No work for a couple of weeks. Got a call from Topps the other day to go around to a house that needs a kitchen tiled in mosaic with a border.
I get there 5 mins early, and knock on the door. No answer. I give it 6 mins and try again. No answer. I ring the mobile of the owner. No answer. 20 minutes later and several attempts at ringing the number with no luck. I knock on the door again......no answer. I’ll give it 5 mins, but just then out of the corner of my eye I see a curtain twitch. But when I peer in I see no one. I bang on the window harder and a young girl answers the door. I tell her that I have an appointment with her Parents and that I have been standing outside the house for over 20mins. I get her to call her parents on the phone and she gets through to her Mum. She lets me in and says that her Mum is only down the road. I measure up and wait for the Mum to appear. She appears about 10 mins later. I ask her about the mosaic and she said that the man in Topps Tiles suggested mosaic tiles. I am a little confused so I asked her why had she called me around for a quote. She said all she wanted was advice about her worktop that she had changed about a month ago. The old worktop was thicker, and the new one is thinner. This means that there was a 10mm gap, going down to a 5mm gap between the worktop and the bottom row of tiles. The woman had very little command of the English language and communications between us both was not great. What I think she really wanted me to do was to cut 10mm – 5mm slithers of tiles and stick them to the bottom of her existing tiles. What a waste of 90 minutes. I’ll still do her a quote, but it will be for removal of old tiles and retiled with new tiles. What gets me more, was that there was no apology for her turning up 30 minutes late for the appointment. I also blame Topps for wasting my time. This was supposed to be a Topps Approved Fitter job. Now it’s time for my dinner! Cheers Sean

H

hillhead

Bad situation that Sean,a real pain in he rear.
Pity we all don't charge for quotes then knock off bill when job done:thumbsup:
I think there is some who do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

tightwad should have had a 40mm replacement, its going to cost moe in the long run

ive lost count of the number of conversations ive had concerning an etra 100 quid for thicker tops

W

White Room

Peeping around curtains and not answering the door, I would have been offski.

Could be a conspiracy theory

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
been there and got the t.shirt m8

thing is when your short on work you don't want to walk incase theres a nice job in the offering.

i really hope things pick up soon for you :thumbsup:

J

jamie B

unlucky mate, I sometimes think Topps should change their name to 'Bottoms' if you know what I mean..:smilewinkgrin:

Reply to Am I a kitchen worktop consultant? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen