Search the forum,

Discuss advice on setting out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

spudgun

hi guys its spudgun,
still having trouble using the members site ,so thought i would post in here again , starting a kitchen splash back job soon approx 4.5m2 using 10cmx1ocm tiles ,just wanted to know if you guys had any golden tips for setting out ,usualy start in the centre of the cooker hood, but in this case the customer has a stainless steel splash back, also there are 10 various sockets to cut round down the main run of the work top approx 4.6m would you set out on each of them first
cheers spud

G

GazTech

Hi Spud, If you start with full tile either side of the steel splashback, see how it marks out...Gaz

B

bigandy

if the full tile does nt give you nice cuts try starting half a tile from splash back

D

Dave Ramsden

Id start a full tile from each side of the stainless steel panel as long as everything lands right, if notm stagger everything. Dont forget to center you window too.

Also remember, long socket screws ;)

D

Daz

Every job is different.
Another point to consider is having a full tile at the worktop end or in line with upper cabinets.

Are there other focal points that should be considered, i.e windows or sink etc.?

F

Fred

Set out a full tile, and see how the cuts each end work out. When you are happy, show the client what you want to do, I always get them involved with my set out.

S

spudgun

not really any other focal points,the cooker is on one side of the kitchen and the other side is the worktop and cupboards in an L shape this is the side with all the sockets to cut round!!!

D

Daz

not really any other focal points,the cooker is on one side of the kitchen and the other side is the worktop and cupboards in an L shape this is the side with all the sockets to cut round!!!

In which case I would do as everyone else has suggested and mark a datum where you think a full tile will look best. Then, take measurements to see what cuts fall where (around sockets, worktop ends, windows etc.). Adjust your datum left or right until you are happy with all the cuts and you get the look that you want.

Unfortunately, you sometimes have to compromise one area to get the best look in another.

IMO, involving the customer when setting out a straight forward splashback will add confusion, time and hassle - don't do it! I will discuss the position of borders and decorative tiles with customers but anything else is just a waste of time - You are the expert!!!!

Why not post some pics when you have finished and we can all praise you???

Reply to advice on setting out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen