Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss 53 sq m travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

thegwads

Hi all

was hoping for a little advic eon a job coming up.

job is 53 metres. long hall going into kitchen, pantry and downstars loo. 40 metres here, looking like brick bond 600 x 300mm quite fiddy, a lot of doors and skirting is already on!!

13 sq metres up stairs spread over 3 batchrooms, so not too fussed about there, 2 on it should get those laid in a day.

downstairs though is a big job

can i run a few things by you

travertine, honed and filled i hope!
i will need white adhesive (flexi?) defo flexi upstairs, but concrete floor donstairs with underfloor heating installed. does this change things? do i need ditra matting or such like?
my plan is to seal, lay, seal again, grout, final seal - this sound good?

cheers

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Definitely natural stone white flexy addy (and flexi grout) as having UFH. I did a similar amount earlier in the year. Matting is recommended (though my customer declined) I didnt seal until after grouting, but I made sure I worked bloody clean and grouted small areas, changing water very regularly.
Skirting and door frames to cut round like my job too...I just went carefully and made templates to use when cutting tiles.
I got loads of help from on here...so watch the replies flood in! Good luck

T

thegwads

any idea on a price for the whole job?
what would you guys be roughly charging, labour only

T

trev

any idea on a price for the whole job?
what would you guys be roughly charging, labour only

Hi

I done about the same amount in May this year, upstairs & down with undertile heating everywhere. I would seal first and again at the end, as for price i charged £35.00 p/m labour only. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

T

thegwads

cheers gaz for your help. have put recommendations and options so see what customer says.

G

grumpygrouter

Ply the floor, heating element, self leveling then tile. No ditra (all flex addy and grout).:thumbsup:
Braver man than me, Trev. I would definitely have put down a decoupling mat personally. Lot of floor there to fix if it goes wrong. Hope it stays ok for you.:thumbsup:

T

trev

Braver man than me, Trev. I would definitely have put down a decoupling mat personally. Lot of floor there to fix if it goes wrong. Hope it stays ok for you.:thumbsup:

Sorry, i should explain that was the total sqm area wall & floor. Kitchen floor 22sqm shower room floor 7sqm walls blah blah etc etc you get the picture. And your right grumpy, decuopling mat would be the way to go. What about an expansion joint? maybe every 10sqm or so? would that work?:thumbsup:

G

GazTech

Sorry, i should explain that was the total sqm area wall & floor. Kitchen floor 22sqm shower room floor 7sqm walls blah blah etc etc you get the picture. And your right grumpy, de-coupling mat would be the way to go. What about an expansion joint? maybe every 10sqm or so? would that work?:thumbsup:
Are expansion joints required with de-coupling membranes ??

W

White Room

If there is an expansion joint in the floor (screed/concrete) to follow thru to the tiles

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 53 sq m travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks