Search the forum,

Discuss 365 drill set in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

Best to use a battery hand drill. Drilling needs to be slow and gentle so avoid hammer action or corded drills.

Reason to avoid corded is because at 240v (domestic) and 110v commercial there is water sloshing about at the drill site. With a low volt hand drill its much easier, safer and more practical.

RE: Drill selection - that is a very personal matter. Me? I attend a lot of demos and for five years used a BOSHH 14.4v drill without problems. But then some **** Nicked it from my stand at Tile & Stone. Thats it in action below:

a1c.jpg

I could have bought a replacement BOSHH but instead chose Dewalt based on of all stupid things - the colour.

My thinking was it looked brighter in photographs with used with our yellow drill plates. The BOSHH looked dull

br3a.jpg

Biiiiiggggggg mistake.

My BOSHH was a much better drill that this DEWALT.

At the time of the theft I needed a drill in a hurry so paid a premium of £170 for it via a local shop. But if I had time to research I think Screwfix were doing it for about £117.

In hindsight (and in future) I will go back to a BOSHH 14.4v with spare battery.

T

tiler burden

hi

bought a set from 365 drills and they are excellent value for money.

tried them on some procelain and they went through no worries. used a small plastic water sprayer at intervals and this helps alot.

then tried them on ordinary ceramics and they just flew through time and time agian.

an excellent price and they are pound for pound well worth the investment..

ed

H

Holohana

how do these fare with tiles not fixed on walls? Ie with no centre piece wont they send the tile spinning or break your wrist?

D

Deleted member 1779

On tiles that are off the wall (not fitted) the drills work really well and dont slip.

Just place the tile on the floor and start drilling. Really easy.

The only thing to consider is the surface underneath will be scratched as the core pops through the tile so make sure it is not something that will be on show. IE not the tiled bathroom floor. A scrap of wood is best.

Also my favourite method is to drill tiles outside over an open drain with a hosepipe trickling on the tile.

G

grumpygrouter

On tiles that are off the wall (not fitted) the drills work really well and dont slip.

Just place the tile on the floor and start drilling. Really easy.

The only thing to consider is the surface underneath will be scratched as the core pops through the tile so make sure it is not something that will be on show. IE not the tiled bathroom floor. A scrap of wood is best.

Also my favourite method is to drill tiles outside over an open drain with a hosepipe trickling on the tile.
Sorry, I have to take issue with that statement Richard, the drill DOES wander if the tiles are off the wall, you DEFINATELY need the guide to help hold the drill in position when you first start, until you have a groove cut.

Grumpy

Reply to 365 drill set in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen