Search the forum,

Discuss Window frame problem... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

NorthSeaTiger

A few years ago I went to look at a job for a friend of a friend. I ended up not doing it for one reason or another but I remember a problem I would have had with the job and thought I'd ask whilst I was thinking about it.

He wanted big format tiles that were quite thick on his bathroom walls. I had a look and noticed that, with adhesive and tile thickness, the tiles around the wooden window frame would have been a good few mm thicker than the window frame and not flush with it and it would have looked horrible.

How would this be overcome? would the old window frame need ripped out and a new thicker one put in or is there another way to resolve this? (I can't think of one)

Is this a common problem?

I

Ian

So what you're saying is the tile would overlap the glass on the window, due to the frame not being very wide? Have I got that right?

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi there,this is common obstacle in a bathroom ,we generally try to remove the window frame and then board/fix all 4 internals ready for tiling/straighten them up

tile up to it and frame with trim or if stone you can use without trims,or if they want facings get the joiner o re frame it after you have tiled with faciings finihsed on top of the tiles

this way no nasty edges etc showing as you say

N

NorthSeaTiger

So what you're saying is the tile would overlap the glass on the window, due to the frame not being very wide? Have I got that right?

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

No sorry, I mean that the tile and adhesive is thicker than the window frame and if I tiled up to the window frame then the tile and frame wouldnt sit flush with each other.

N

NorthSeaTiger

hi there,this is common obstacle in a bathroom ,we generally try to remove the window frame and then board/fix all 4 internals ready for tiling/straighten them up

tile up to it and frame with trim or if stone you can use without trims,or if they want facings get the joiner o re frame it after you have tiled with faciings finihsed on top of the tiles

this way no nasty edges etc showing as you say

Thanks. This answers my question. cheers.

D

Deleted member 1779

Just trying to visualise it. Most window frames are fairly thick if they are PVC

window5.jpg

In this shot quite thick 12mm tiles are fitted but there is a thick PVC trim to the glass.

window4.jpg

Same here.

window2.jpg

Are you saying that the customer had non standard windows. (Maybe they were Art deco or something?)

N

NorthSeaTiger

2310710320011525136ryjHSG_ph.jpg

was a window frame like this but the window was taller, not that that matters.

would we just remove the wondow frame, prep the area to be tiled and tile it like in 365's pics?

Reply to Window frame problem... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen