Currently reading:
Which is best LTP mattstone sealer or FILA ?

Discuss Which is best LTP mattstone sealer or FILA ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

timlee77

Im quoting on a job for 10mm tumbled marble which sealer is best im told mattstone ltp but another supplier is saying that only last 6 months then needs re-doing? they said Fila sealer is better its £40 dearer but they say it only needs sealing once and last up to 4 years. i was advised to seal twice before and once after with the mattstone! help! ALSO which primer would be best ? its a concrete screed floor?
tim (QTiling)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

how many times should i seal ? before and after?

I like to see the stone 1st before making that choice, It will make the cleaning process easier if you seal before grouting though. I personally wouldnt before fixing unless they were something really tricky. The PDF file here will give all the info you require.
Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
G

garybadger

Here's a question for you. I tiled a travertine floor a couple of years ago and was supplied with lithofin stain stop and mapei jasmine grout by the customer, and was told to seal before and after grouting the tiles. Now the grout started peeling away from the edges of the tile but was still stuck soundly to the floor with the tiles. However the Mapei rep that was contacted by the customer was told that you shouldn't seal the travertine before grouting as the sealer slips down over the edge of the tile and stops the grout from sticking properly to the edge and therefore wont make it properly water tight! Ever since then I always make sure I double check with both technical and the tile shops that supply the tiles, what's the best way to go about sealing their natural stone!

M

Marble Life Ltd

Here's a question for you. I tiled a travertine floor a couple of years ago and was supplied with lithofin stain stop and mapei jasmine grout by the customer, and was told to seal before and after grouting the tiles. Now the grout started peeling away from the edges of the tile but was still stuck soundly to the floor with the tiles. However the Mapei rep that was contacted by the customer was told that you shouldn't seal the travertine before grouting as the sealer slips down over the edge of the tile and stops the grout from sticking properly to the edge and therefore wont make it properly water tight! Ever since then I always make sure I double check with both technical and the tile shops that supply the tiles, what's the best way to go about sealing their natural stone!

There is nothig wrong with this sealing process even if you want to seal the sides it's OK provided you use a goood quality impregnating sealer and you allow to penetrate and clean off correctly it will not affect grout adhesion. Check with which technical? The Tile, Adhesive, Grout or Sealant Company???

Kevin

M

Marble Life Ltd

So im using fume tumbled marble tiles you can veiw them on Marble tiles leicestershire: Stunning in any light im being told to seal before and after? any thoughts also how many litres would i need of the mattsone to twice seal 80m2?

It is always safer to seal Natural Stone prior to fixing and or grouting unless you are experienced and convinced in your ability to work clean. Sometimes it can work in your favour as well even if you are experienced. The customer can mess up as well! I had a lady spilt chicken fat all over a white limestone I was laying one evening and denied it was her the next morning when i got there. I must have liked th job that much I probably creptback in there one night and cooked a chicken

Kevin

T

Theo3000

Hi there, thought I'd leave my 2 cents here, too, after I used a lot of advise from forums like this which massively helped me through our reno works:

I redid our bathroom and fireplace with beautiful, thick, handmade encaustic cement tiles (pigment cover) and used Fila products throughout as recommended (Bert & May). Terrible choice I must say! The pregrout treatment didn't work at all - even after 3 layers (dark grout) and left our fireplace with horrible smeary dirt stains. The sealer on the walls in the bathroom worked fine. On the floor, however, the light-coloured tiles were more porous and even after 6 whopping layers of sealer and weeks of work and drying time, they did not pearl off the water. Cosmetics, soap etc quickly leave stains on light stone so it's essential they are sealed well, especially in a wet room.

We switched to LTP Mattstone Impregnating sealer (interior + exterior use) and the result was instantly perfect. Fila gets good reviews, for us it didn't work at all. I cannot stress enough to buy a small bottle and try these things out. 30 quid if you're redoing an entire bathroom are quickly forgotten if the result is perfect.

Good luck for all you renovators out there!

Reply to Which is best LTP mattstone sealer or FILA ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.