Search the forum,

Discuss what would you do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

penno

I quoted a job up the other day for a 20 sqm kitchen floor. Bloke said tiles are 600 x 300 marble, ooo i said, will cost a few quid to fit them m8. He replied "no no, not marble, a marble effect tile"

"so ceramic 600 x 300 marble look, that correct?"

"yes yes, ceramic with marble look"

nps, priced him up £450 inc mats, dead simple room, freshly ashphalted and bare.

"Thats great" he said, "when can you do it?"

"gonna be at least 2 weeks, lemme check diary"

"no no it has to be done before Monday, kitchen fitter is in first thing Monday"

"mmm, i was going to have this weekend off but if you want it doing that soon call it £550 cash and we have a deal"

"nps £550 it is"

(some crazy reason he wants the tiles under the units, not just under the kickboard, not arguing its more cash)

"i am going to Topps tomorrow to buy the tiles i have seen"

"ok, when you go in give my name and the lad will give you a discount on them"

TODAY:

Went into Topps today:

"hi mate did a bloke come in and use my name and buy about 22sqm of tiles?"

"did he!, right pain in the arse. Tiles came to £1400 but said he would pay no more than a grand, offered them for £1200 but still said no, says he knows another place that will do them for a grand"

"ahh ok, HANG ON! £1400!!!! what ****ing ceramics was he after?"

"didn't want ceramics, he wanted marble, he came in with a marble tile and asked do we stock the same one, which we do"

So basically this bloke has said he is getting ceramics that i have priced him on but it seems he knows full well the tiles are real marble.

I phoned him after i left Topps and asked did he get the tiles today, said "yeah but didn't get them from Topps got them from another place"

"np mate will be there Saturday morning".

Now i didn't mention the tiles as i will wait until i get there (will be too late for him to get another tiler as they need to be down before Monday) and give him a

"waiiiiiitttt a minute, these are not ceramic, lets re talk cash"

Now im wondering if i should just say halfway through Saturday that i want the cash first thing Sunday before i continue with the job. Or you think i should just wait until its completed?

(sorry it is long but wanted to explain)

F

frogeye

ffs mate

rethink the price and get him to pay up front for the work, if not walk away as a**eholes like these think they can p*** us about, id prob bang my toolbox into his car on the way out 2 lol, by accident of course

andy

Just thought I'd quote this - good anglo saxon phrases - tells it how it is - well done :yes:

frogeye

Last edited by a moderator:
P

penno

well turned up yesterday "what!!! they are marble"
bit of a discussion and customer happily agreed to pay the extra cost. Pulled the cash out and paid up front no probs. I turned up with a grey adhesive knowing full well i couldnt use it so told him i will need to change adhesives. "no problem mate, you keep hold of that adhesive and i will go down and grab 5 bags of what you need while you are setting out what you need, i will also pay for it as a small aplogy"
So has worked out great, also wants a lot more work doing over the next few months.

(marble looks stunning layed btw)

P

penno

Well what looked dodgy at first has turned out great. Got a call off the same bloke yesterday for some more work he wants doing. Got there he wants a :

Large en suite tiling
Wet room tiling
Kitchen splashback tiling
Hallway tiling
Porch tiling.

Before i even worked out a price he was asking when i could start.

"not even worked price out yet m8"
"thats no problem, you charge fair prices"

Sat down worked out cost (came to alot) "thats good price when can you start?"

"Mat this is my brother and he also wants work doing"

(followed them to the brothers house in my Van"

Large Kitchen floor (just under 27 sqm) laying same marble as i did in brothers house.

Might even be able to afford a holiday at this rate :)

H

hrgj3270

hi mate,

this bloke sounds like he is pulling the wool and trying to take u for a C**T. if it was me i would requote and get him to sign and make sure i had a hammer with me so if he dosent pay i would smash a tile at a time until he paid. if he dosent he has now got a very expensive mosaic floor that he didnt want. so he is out of pocket as well as u.

thats my standing on it mate

H

Reply to what would you do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.