Search the forum,

Discuss What does 'removal' mean? Dispute advice please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Christ, this thread got 4 pages longer than it should have done! ha

Probably because a lot of tradesmen on here are sick of getting ripped off. .....and for what? ....a misunderstanding of the word remove......most customers would of just got rid of the rubbish and moved on......not kick up a song and dance about it and kept money back....:incazzato:

O

On one

I never take away any materials that i don't supply, even cuts of tiles.
Me neither. I've been asked before if I can take away the waste materials that a customer has bought..........''if you bought the materials,their yours!''

O

On one

Still waiting for the OP to come back on here and say he's done the decent thing and paid his tiler in full.

Reaction score
Another example of why we as tradespeople need to make all of our contract terms as clear as possible to our cutomers to avoid confusion. I have an "exclusions" section in all of my quotes and clearly state that I will bag/stck up the waste for the cluent to dispose of themselves. Otherwise, if they prefer they can have a skip at an additional cost.

Had a one last week where he rang me up after the job and asked when I would be taking it away. He hadnt read the quote but took the stuff to the tip himself. Easy. Pay the guy and take it to the tip.

Reaction score
Why does so many people get upset with customers (even if they ain't yours)? The customer is always right.

If you regularly dispose of waste created by your business (tiling) you must register as a waste carrier (£154 for 3 years). You will then have to pay the local authority to dispose (our local rate is £47/tonne sorted waste, £115 unsorted). There are a number of alternatives - and all my customers get quotes that include trade terms and conditions including:

· Waste disposalis charged as an extra in our quotes. The contractor is happy to moveand bag (if possible) all waste generated from the work, to place in a suitablelocation on the premises (or garden) so the customer can dispose of itappropriately (at local recycling centre) and have no waste charge applied. Weare also happy to arrange for skip hire. Our charge includes bagging, transport,licensing and disposal of rubbish. Please note that we separate our waste forrecycling, and ask your support not to allow waste mixing of the bags whilst weare not on site (e.g. throwing sandwich wrappers or tins into rubble sacks) –the costs of disposing of unsorted waste is currently £115/tonne.

So I recommend making waste disposal policy very clear to customers - I find a lot of them expect you to include disposal but don't understand what it costs us. I recently had a new carpet - and the fitter wanted to charge me £75 to dispose of the old carpet. So that became my "standard" disposal fee. Of course a hippo bag might be cheaper...

Reply to What does 'removal' mean? Dispute advice please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen