Discuss What does 'removal' mean? Dispute advice please in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Disquieted

Hi,

I've just had a job done and am withholding part of the payment pending resolution.

I had new tiles fitted in my house and the tiler, as part of the quote, agreed to the 'removal' of the old tiles. He did this - but left them all in a (tidy) pile in my back garden! He contends that he only agreed to remove them from the floor, I understood that removal included taking them away. After all, if I asked someone to remove a tree I wouldn't expect them to just cut it down, I would expect them to take it away. That is implicit.

The tiler maintains that he never meant to take them away and that this would cost extra. Could someone please advise?

Thank you,

DQ.

W

White Room

I take it that removal is removing tiles from there fixed position as in floor etc but this should have been made clear from the start, if the tiler has'nt a waste transfer licence for his van then he can't take them anywhere due to the fact he gets stopped and is caught it can be a hefty fine.

Removing waste can be expensive as I found to my misfortune.

Last edited by a moderator:

radim

TF
Arms
Reaction score
removal means taking tiles of the wall, floor.
taking them to skips will be extra charge as he has to pay for disposal.

Q

Qwerty

As above. Removal is removal, disposal is disposal. I remove, not dispose. Skips & bin men do that. I list it clearly in my T&C's though

J

jonnyc

Sounds like a misunderstanding.the clue might be in the word remove albeit a tree or a tile.you think remove means taking up and removing from your property.tiler or tree surgeon might see that as just removing from its location .could still be in your property .

D

Dougs Third Go

as all others, removal (in my opinion) means to remove them from their fixed state.

O

One Day

Removal is not disposal.
I can't imagine anyone risking getting caught carrying trade waste nowadays.

If I were in this situation I would probably suggest my customer retain £50 to cover the cost of a mini skip and chalk it down to experience.
He should have covered this in his quote's terms and conditions really.
A misunderstanding but no reason to fall out.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Same here, removal means from the wall or floor but not take them away.
The latter would be 'Disposal' in my opinion. After all, it is your rubbish.

Diggy

T

The D

it will cost you nothing to put it in your car and take it to the tip after all it is your rubbish but it is not your money so give that to the tiler and say sorry for withholding it in the first place

Reply to What does 'removal' mean? Dispute advice please in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks