Search the forum,

Discuss wetroom tray and mosaics needing help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jaguar66

Hi all im after a bit of advice ive searched but cant seem to find a post on this question . Im in the process of fitting my first wetroom used hardibacker for the walls and floor and have a tankng material from topps the tray is in place as per manufacturer destructions my question is do i need to cut the mosaics that im fitting to the diagonal fall of the tray or can i just lay the mosaics without cutting them . If the answer is to cut them hows best to do this i have a wet cutter and a normal hand cutter any help would be greatly recieved. just 1 more point the mosaics are the oblong mosaics in a brick pattern on a sheet of hessian thanks..:yikes:

G

Gazzer

It would depend on the fall of the tray and size of the mosaics. Generally mosaics can be as normal without cutting but not all things are the same.

J

jaguar66

yep the tray is from topps with a 2 degree fall to the center its 1200mm x 900mm and the mosaics are i think natural stone that come on a 12x12 inch sheet of hessian they are about 30 mm x 10mm

D

DHTiling

Mosaics tend to fall with the flow as they say///no cuts unless against the walls or drain cover.:)

D

Daz

I think with a 30mm x 10mm mosaic, I too, would be inclined to envelope cut them, however if you "dry lay" them onto the base you will soon get a feel as to how badly the corners stand up. Here's a pic of 50mm x 50mm marble that I did without envelope cuts and that worked out great.

IMG_0222.jpg

Square mosaics lend themselves to wetfloors without envelope cuts more so than rectangular mosaics, IMO.

If your mosaics are natural stone, then you will need to cut them with a wet cutter as they will not cut via a score and snap.

Good luck,

Daz

J

jaguar66

thanx im terrified of cocking this job up someone said dry lay and place a ball on the tiles to make sure the fall is sufficient but if its an envelope cut i need will a piece of masking tape accross the tiles on the cut line help and also my wet cutter is just a cheap one i dont think its upto the job if i buy a new one can anybody reccomend one for about 100 quid or so i know a ruby is what is mostly reccomended but i dont think the budget will stretch.

D

Daz

I'm unsure of your experience Jag, so I hope this isn't an insult. Why don't you advise what area you are in and maybe a tiler with experience and the right kit will be prepared to help you (for a fee of course)???

Just a thought,

Daz

Reply to wetroom tray and mosaics needing help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen