Search the forum,

Discuss Wet film gauge for liquid tanking products in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

FYI for those tilesetters that are starting to use tanking products.

It's important to know the manufacturer's requirements for wet film thinkness. A cured film of the tanking product that is too thin isn't necessarily waterproof.

I just got a new gauge that is set for the brand we use (Laticrete, the product is Hydroban).

Note the required thickness in mils, listed on one side of the gauge. This thickness will vary from product to product.

Another way I have done it in the past is to look at the coverage in square feet per gallon, bucket, etc, and compare to the square footage needed in the shower, on the floor, etc. and then tell my employees to ensure that X amount gets on the substrate. In this way, the required quantity gets on the surface without having to mess around with one of these gauges.

Also, while it might be tempting to put on one heavy coat rather than two thinner coats, it won't yield the same results. When tanking products are applied too thickly, they don't cure properly, can crack, and in some cases they might not ever cure or will take weeks to cure. I've seen cases where the tanking was applied too thickly, the tile was set too soon, and then once water got into the grout it remulsified the tanking and all the tanking came up through the grout. :yikes:

Attachments

• Hydrioban wet film gauge (Large).JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Hydroban wet film gauge (Large).JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 111
H

hillhead

Thanks Rob, i see Laticrete seem to have pulled out of here too i think.
They were attached to a national tile shop here then gone again.
The local branch of that shop has closed now too( and i was just starting to get work from them !!!! sick as a dog here).
I was offered Laticrete 335 adhesive very cheap lately too for cash.

R

Rob Z

Hi Joe, I've learned from Jay that Laticrete is selling different products in countries outside of US and Canada. For example, Lat 335 isn't sold here, and Jay has told me about some products that he gets in OZ that I don't know.

I'll see if there is a Laticrete website in the UK, and check out what is #335.

R

Rob Z

Hi Jay, I see 335 isn't rated for use over plywood, but the most interesting thing is the notation to check with the cbu mfr before using 335 over cement backer board. I wonder what's up with that?

Reply to Wet film gauge for liquid tanking products in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen