Search the forum,

Discuss weight limits when tiling a wall... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

The maximum weight of tiling which can be supported by a dry, well-adhered plaster background is 20kg/m². This is equivalent to ceramic tiles with a maximum thickness of 8mm plus tile adhesive or natural stone tiles with a maximum thickness of 7mm plus tile adhesive
The weight of tiling to a plasterboard background direct (without plaster skim) should not exceed 32kg/m². This is equivalent to a ceramic tile and adhesive with a maximum thickness of 12.5mm and natural stone and adhesive with a maximum thickness of 10mm.
It is important to emphasise that the weights quoted includes both the tile and adhesive.
Further advice should be sought either from the manufacturer, regarding the suitability of the adhesives and grouts and also guidance must be sought from board manufacturer regarding additional information on recommended methods for the installation of boards.
The following table offers general guidance to some common types of building board and the maximum recommended weights for tiling.

Wall SubstratesMaximum Weight of Tiling per m²

1. Gypsum Plaster20Kg/m²
2. Gypsum Plasterboard Direct (without a plaster skim) 32Kg/m²
3. Plywood (WBP)Up to 30Kg/m²
4. Lightweight Tilebacking Boards Up to 40Kg/m². Dependant upon the type and thickness of the board.
5. Glass reinforced Cement SheetsUp to 50kg/m², Dependant upon the type and thickness of the board.
6. Gypsum Fibre boardsApproximately 35- 40Kg/m²

These are BS Guide lines only..if in doubt check with adhesive manufacturer....:grin:

P

penno

Im doing a bathroom in the next few weeks in Travertine 60 x 30, customer didn't have the tiles at the time they are going onto plaster. Is a Travertine of that size suitable for going direct onto plaster?

P

penno

****, the weight thing didnt even occur to me when i did the quote. Will they be WELL over? do able or just a TOTAL NO NO?

D

DHTiling

That format has five tiles to the mtr...best to weigh them...and allow for adhesive etc...its up to you as fixer if you want to go ahead...i can only give advise not guarantee's...good luck mat......:8:

V

Varley

I would listen to Dave's advice on this one mate, the weight ratio of the walls are one of, if not, the most important part of tiling as if you overload the weight then you could seriously hurt someone if the tiles come falling off the wall. I'm sure if you explain this to the customer they will understand and should be greatfull that you have their safety in mind and not just out to make a quick buck.

Reply to weight limits when tiling a wall... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen