Discuss Waterproofing needed for cement backerboard? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Topcad

-
Reaction score
Hiya all,
I'm a DIY gal on first bathroom. Wondered if you could check out my plans and let me know how I'm doing?

Walls
15cm x 15 cm ceramic tiles
Plastered masonry and plasterboard with Hardiebacker 6mm screwed on top
My bf got normal plasterboard rather than water resistant so I've waterproofed it with Mapei shower waterproofing kit
Will use BAL whitestar adhesive

Floors
Original floorboards
12mm ply
BAL White star adhesive between ply and backerboard and backerboard and tiles
Hardiebacker 6mm
porcelain mosaic tiles

1. Does the hardiebacker need waterproofing around shower area and floor? I have lots of Mapegum WPS left over from the waterproofing kit but just want to check it won't affect the bond between adhesive and backerboard

2. or should I use 100% waterproof boards around shower instead of cement boards? If so which do you recommend? Is Marmox multiboard suitable.
Need to use cement boards on floor as they're stronger

3. Should I prime the ply? what product is best?

Any other recommendations?

Cheers!

Reply to Waterproofing needed for cement backerboard? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks