Search the forum,

Discuss water running down the side of the bath in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr T

the front side of the bath has a stud frame for support but the back side has nothing the legs are screwed down to the floor... Will there be enough movement in the copper pipes to move the bath over?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
It should of been bracketed back to the wall. Certainly if it's plastic.

Could you get a silicone nozzle down the gap between bath and wall if you removed all the old silicone?

M

Mr T

I cant see any sort of support other that the timber frame around the front of the bath and underneath where the taps are... yeh I could get a nozzle down there

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Ok, this is what i would do. I'm making the presumption this is yours or a family/friends bathroom.

I would remove all that nasty silicone that's around the bath at the moment. Then head out and purchase a tube of this stuff:

C-Tec Ltd. CT1 Sealants & Adhesives - Mastic Sealant & Waterproofing Manufacturers - Sealants Online

CT1 is awesome! Fill the bath up with water (if it's plastic, steel baths there's no need) squeeze plenty of CT1 down between the gap, try and get a consistant bead of the sealant all the way round. Press the bath tub back into the corner, any excess sealant that spreads through the "crease" wipe up with a damp cloths, or finger and allow it to set/harden.

You can use the same stuff once this has gone off to re-seal around the top of the bath. If the gap between bath and wall is still "ugly" due to the width of the gap, then i would perhaps make a seal using either a quadrant or corner uPVC bead. Available at most DIY stores.

Unless of course you want to re-tile or remove tiles. But if you do this you're pretty much obligated to unscrew the legs and re-fit the bath. Which is a lot of effort just for a failled seal. Depends also on how fussed you are on the overall look. But some uPVC mouldings can look pretty good.

M

Mr T

Yeh mate im just doing it for a friend ok well how reliable will bog standard silicone be compared to this stuff? Will it just be leaking again in a weeks time?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Look up CT1 mate. I know it's more expensive than standard silicone, but you will be using it as a glue/adhesive as well as a sealant.

Mate you can use this stuff underwater, it's briiiiiiiiiiiliant! I had to seal up part of a soil waste stack in a block of flats where the upstairs neighbour refused to stop using toilets/sinks etc for an hour so i can do it. That is when i found this stuff. Always carry a few tubes.

You'll see a vid here: CT1 Sealant & Adhesive - CT1Ltd

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

If you fix with CT1 then that bath ain't gonna move.
As above get that bath pushed in as far as it will go then reseal,
CT1 isn't a silicone as such but can be used for sealing.
Buy either Mapei or Dow Corning for quality silicone, forget bog standard silicone it's a waste of time & money.

M

Mr T

Ok cheers lads im gonna go and get some of that tommorrow and just slap it all over and the put trim on once its set will look better wont it

Reply to water running down the side of the bath in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen