Search the forum,

Discuss wall tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Wood's better

Hi all I hope you can help?

I (as forum name suggests) am a carpenter, who does tiling every know and then when attached to jobs I am working on, so please excuse if technical jargon not quite right. Anyway here is my scenario which I would like some feed back and a point in the right directon: A customer has asked me to tile the walls in there en-suite (not power shower) When the building work was being done I persuaded them to have Hardi 12mm in the shower area which I fitted.
The ladies Father who works in a tile shop started tiling, probably 20 tiles on wall, but hasn't returned so they got fed up waiting! He has not Hardi taped the joints and has started half way up the wall which i don't normally do. The adhesive they want me to use as I guess was supplied cheap is Bostik Techniik Flexi AA (ready mixed-sorry I know you chaps don't like it!) I propose to use a thin bed solid bed trowel. The rest of the walls are bare new skimmed plasterboard on studwork. Other than any points in general, these are my specific questions:
1: Even though the Father supplied a tanking kit, he has not used it, maybe he was only going to use if bare plasterboard. Should the Hardi be tanked?
2: Is the bostik fit for purpose?
3: Trowel stated ok?
4: Should I prime either substrates with APD?
5: Should I worry about the fact I know parts of the Hardi have not been scrimmed?

I would really apreciate anyone taking the time to reply.

Kind regards,

Rich

D

Daz

If it's only 20 tiles, can you not take them off and make a fresh start?
You will then be able to tape the Hardi joints. There is no need to tank the Hardi boards and if you check the adhesive tub, it will probably say that it is self priming so no need for the APD either.

It's not the best adhesive to use but as long as you ensure a full contact when bedding the tiles you should be okay.

Oh BTW, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

faithhealer

strip the tiles off and start again Rich. tape the joints as you say and set out the tiles properly. Are they only ceramic and not large format. Tried to look at the data sheet for your addy but you have to register and too late in the day for that lol
Flooring and tiling products for the professional, marketed under the brands of Laybond, Biscem, Technik, Bostik and Evo-Sport.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to wall tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.