Search the forum,

Discuss wall prep / dry lining with Hardiebacker? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

newplumb

Evening everybody

Would like some opinions on the best way to go with this one please. Just refurbishing friend's bathroom. Took the old bath out today which was chased into the wall round two sides, including the taps/shower end. The new bath will also need to be chased into the wall in the same way so there's space to fix the bath screen to the wall (otherwise I'm into the window reveal).

The problem I have is that the new bath (Bathstore bath with fixed height panel) is going to be several inches lower than the old one. Consequently, the existing chase is a couple of inches above where the top of the new bath will be (635mm vs 585mm). I should say that 'chase' is the wrong word really, as the walls are only plastered/rendered down to the level of the old bath.

Would it be possible to afix something like Hardiebacker board straight to the wall to make a flush finish? I imagine I'd need to cut back more of the plaster higher up, otherwise I'd be trying to fix a two inch slither of board to the wall. Also, the difference in depth is up to 30mm in places, so I would have to pack out with some thin timber in places. Or since one of the walls is an outside wall (the other is a party wall - brickwork exposed on both), would it be possible/better to afix some foil-backed plasterboard? (I'm going to tank the shower end with BAL WP1 anyway).

I guess I'm looking for options that avoid the need to get a plasterer in as I don't want to delay the tiling process if possible.

Opinions on the above and any other ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Matt

N

newplumb

Thanks Simon. Two things:

1) Given that the plasterboard would only need to come down to the level of the top of the new bath (as the new bath also needs to be 'chased in') - which is about two inches below the current plaster/render level - how much of the plaster above would you cut away? i.e. how small a piece of plasterboard (heightwise) would you consider structurally stable?

2) Would foil-backed plasterboard be required for the external wall? If so, can you still dot-and-dab this?

Cheers

Reply to wall prep / dry lining with Hardiebacker? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.