Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss ufh, low profile before a floating floor gets put in in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
went to have look at nice big job yesterday, standard story, couple just got the first builder they could in, hitting the final stages and now the problems and cost is going up, but the new extention is all alpha hemi hydrate screed with wet ufh so now real issues there hopefully, its the exsisting house that causes the issue, builder was planning on 25mm celotex with 25mm insulation board with wet ufh pipes in on top then green chipboard over that, through the whole house including the wetroom, and of course the tiler can tile it!!!! hasnt been fitted yet, but they have paid for the chip board

i want the whole area and am trying to come up with the most cost effective way to get me a good surface to work on, height is limited as it has to all flow through from extention, they are set on the wet ufh system in one form or another, basically got 25mm + 25mm + 18mm so 68mm total to play with. best ideas gents???

J

J Sid

ok, done this a few times

30mm blue insulation board
20mm low profile insulation board with 18mm pipes set in
Ditra
Tiles

first layer can be any thickness depending on final height needed.

this is now a solid floor, not floating so tiling is safe

Last edited by a moderator:

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cheers Julian, just so I'm getting this correct, it's blue insulation board ( backer board Yes?) Glued to existing Floor with the insulation board for pipes glued to that the ditra straight on top. Correct Yes? Sorry mate just want to have it clear on my head before I speak to customer.

If needed to level Floor a bit could that be done just before the ditra or right on the bottom? As this is going on the existing Floor slab of the old house so prob not the flattest or most level to begin with

J

J Sid

clean, prime and level slab/beam and block.
prime blue insulation boards and glue down to sub floor.
prime top of stuck boards
dry lay boards with cut outs to make sure the pipes runs are correct, this needs a lot of planing in a multi room situation. Board supplier my do a drawing!
prime under side of boards with pipe cut out board and glue down
fit pipes
prime surface
glue Ditra
tile

the first layer of boards needs to right thickness to get the right ff height

@Uheat - Jake suppliers these

if he can't help pm me and I will help more

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Can offer two solutions for that type of height, the first would be as Julian has mentioned, a 30mm Insulation board with then a 18mm Retrofix panel on top creating a solid floor for tiling on to or even a skim of SLC first before tiling.

We can also offer a 50mm XPS retrofit panel which is a 50mm standard insulation board but with pipe channels grooved in for a 16mm pipe, this system would need a 18mm ply over the top of the panel which would create a floating floor instead.

Feel free to give me a call if you'd like any information on the systems which may help when explaining to your customer.

Reply to ufh, low profile before a floating floor gets put in in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks