Search the forum,

Discuss UFH Height, Transition to Adjacent Flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mmmadman

Hi all

I have been working out my new floor height when I have installed my UFH in the bathroom.

3mm Adhesive
10mm Thermopanel
6mm Self levelling compound (containing the UFH wire)
4mm Adhesive
6mm Tile

That adds up to 29mm, I will need a chuffing lift to get into the bathroom from the hallway.................!!!!

There used to be carpet in the bathroom @ around a thickness of 10mm so its a big differance.

What do you guys & gals do to overcome this or do you just fit a ramp or somthing.......?????!!!!!!!????

Many thanks

Cheers.............:8:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's always difficult to ensure you're getting the most equal level possible in situations like this, but it isn't always possible to get them exact, without lifting the other floor, obviously.

I'd consider going to Underfloor Heating | Electric | Floor Insulation | Uheat and getting 6mm insulation, and using their 3mm cable you'll only need 4mm or so levelling compound.

Then with what height difference you have left you may be able to use a standard screwed door trim which would leave a small ramp. Or I've made wooden versions before that look smart varnished or whatever, and screw that to the floor.

To be honest it's a common problem and there's never an easy solution.

D

diamondtiling

Take up the chipboard/floorboards, relay with 18mm ply, fit insulation, heating and tiles.

Bobs your uncle.

(unless you don't have an uncle bob, in that case Fanny's your Aunt unless you don't have an Aunt Fanny either)

:disguise:

M

mmmadman

I'd consider going to Underfloor Heating | Electric | Floor Insulation | Uheat and getting 6mm insulation, and using their 3mm cable you'll only need 4mm or so levelling compound.

I got a very good quote from U Heat and have exchanged a few emails with them, very helpfull by the way and they recommended the 10mm board & loose wire installation which is 4.3mm thick, I would then pore self levelling compound over this to seal it.
The room is only 3m sq but the toilet is set at an angle in a corner so I guess the wire system was better suited to my install.

The existing floor is approx 18mm tongue & groove boards. If I relayed the floor in 18mm ply could I then use a 6mm insulation board, mind you only saving 4mm for the price of a couple of sheets of ply......!!!

I thought about laying the wire then spreading the adhesive and laying the tiles but would not be able to gaurantee an equal coating of adhesive, plus the issue of the wire getting damaged.......!!!!

Why did I suggest to the wife it would be nice to have UFH.....:mad2:

Thanks gents....................:8:

D

diamondtiling

T&G boards is not suitable to tile onto at all, fixing 10mm insulation boards wont add any strength either. The correct prep now will save you money in the long term.
As for the height difference I spray glue extra thick underlay right outside the door, refit the existing underlay and carpet and use a doorway trim that allows for two different heights.

:thumbsup:

M

mmmadman

Take up the chipboard/floorboards, relay with 18mm ply, fit insulation, heating and tiles.

So is this order correct, from the tile down this time:

6mm Tile
4mm Flexible Addy
6mm SLC (including UFH wire)
6mm Ekoboard insulating board
3mm Flexible Addy
18mm Ply floor

That's down to 25mm total thickness which is getting better I guess.

Ive heard of many people tiling over tongue and grooved floor boards after covering with a cement based board, is this bad practice.../

Cheers.......:8:

M

mmmadman

Not sure what trowel to use as I have never done a tiled floor before, well except my natural slate patio I have just finished.

Is 10mm the norm for floor tiles then?

Cheers..............:8:

D

diamondtiling

10mm will give you the coverage you need on the tiles, depending on what size they are they may need to be back skimmed as well.

Reply to UFH Height, Transition to Adjacent Flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen