Search the forum,

Discuss Travertine. Some Q's but mostly uncoupling/decoupling at slab joint in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

1justin

Hi there. I'm new on the forum. I hope this isn't a double post, first time probs..
I've bought myself 50M^2 Travertine and am trying to ask all the right questions before setting out. Conc floor without UFH.

Here are some Q's:
  • Slab is 1 year old, conc screed 6 months. Seems to be no dusting. Am I likely to need a acrylic primer?
  • Some of the tiles will be on top of old Marleys and another area where the screed is painted. I assume the acrylic primer is appropriate here?
  • Couple of spots where old slab meets new. I need to put in a joint for movement and possibly some uncoupling. The old/new joint isn't perfectly straight though, so even with a soft foam+ silicone gap, the edges of the tiles might get bonded to the wrong side for 1-2cm. I'm considering a strip of (say) 10cm wide builders polythene under this section to prevent adhesion. - Is this sensible or silly?
  • (I have read Dave Hawe's "uncoupling membrane explained" and looked at the Shulter data, but I still can't answer this.
  • My travertine is "light filled/honed". I have bought "ivory" grout. Might I have been better off with white grout? (Ideally you say no :))
Rgds

D

DHTiling

Hi there. I'm new on the forum. I hope this isn't a double post, first time probs..
I've bought myself 50M^2 Travertine and am trying to ask all the right questions before setting out. Conc floor without UFH.

Here are some Q's:
  • Slab is 1 year old, conc screed 6 months. Seems to be no dusting. Am I likely to need a acrylic primer?
  • Some of the tiles will be on top of old Marleys and another area where the screed is painted. I assume the acrylic primer is appropriate here?
  • Couple of spots where old slab meets new. I need to put in a joint for movement and possibly some uncoupling. The old/new joint isn't perfectly straight though, so even with a soft foam+ silicone gap, the edges of the tiles might get bonded to the wrong side for 1-2cm. I'm considering a strip of (say) 10cm wide builders polythene under this section to prevent adhesion. - Is this sensible or silly?
  • (I have read Dave Hawe's "uncoupling membrane explained" and looked at the Shulter data, but I still can't answer this.
  • My travertine is "light filled/honed". I have bought "ivory" grout. Might I have been better off with white grout? (Ideally you say no :))
Rgds

Who..:lol:

1justin

Double post? - I blame these slow administrators now:smilewinkgrin:. But I'm quick to learn.

Reply to Travertine. Some Q's but mostly uncoupling/decoupling at slab joint in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen