Search the forum,

Discuss Traditional style bathroom - skirting options - value your thoughts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Simon Watkins

I work away from home during the week, so just planning ahead for my weekend of DIY. Would like to sanity check a money saving idea, and would value thoughts on what might best work.

Period "style" bathroom en-suite. High level WC, pedestal sink.

Will tile walls in white 10x20cm PRG1 Johnson tiles, horizontal brick bond, with a capping moulding dado tile outside the shower area (probably the matching Minton Hollins Rail1 - expensive but not as bad as the cove tiles). Thinking about 1 tile down from dado tile, putting in a horizontal line of 1cm black pencil tile to create a waist around the room.
Floor is a traditional hex bally mosaic (or will be).
At the skirting level, I can't afford/justify the really heartbreakingly expensive Johnson's cove/skirting tiles (£315 a box :yikes:) as the 7m linear I need would cost more than all the other tiles combined, but would like to do something different on the bottom row I think.

I'm thinking of simulating a skirting/cove tile with a bottom row of square 200x200 matching PRG1 tiles.
Alternatively I could just tile brickbond field tiles down to the floor,
Or make the bottom row the 10x20cm field tiles arranged portrait style, with maybe a pencil or rope tile border between the portrait row and the horizontal field tile.

I haven't ordered any 200x200 tiles yet to try, but I'm not entirely convinced on the other options and think the square tile will look closest to a skirting tile, albeit without the kicked lip at the bottom that a cove tile would have.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Simon

S

Simon Watkins

Re: Traditional style bathroom - skirting options - value your thought

PS, Shower tray is 40mm high, so bottom row will be approx 40mm shorter in the shower area

C

Ceramico tiling

Re: Traditional style bathroom - skirting options - value your thought

Its quite tricky to estimate the overall look.The skirting might just work or might just look rubbish.I would do a test section if possible/or just lay out the design on the floor and ask everyone for their opinions(I find women are very good to ask in these situations,its like they have a sixth sense lol). But the price of the skirting tiles would put a huge dampener on the job for me if I was paying for them!

Reply to Traditional style bathroom - skirting options - value your thoughts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen