Search the forum,

Discuss Timber frame new build and Porcelain in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ORTiling

Hi there,

One of the builders I tile for has done his latest build as a timber frame house rather than traditional build.

The tiles are 600 x 300 polished porcelain, broken bond. Normally I use Bostic/Biscem Stoneflex for these tiles on a traditional build but Im wondering if I need something stronger as I am not sure if a timber frame build will have more movement.
Im told in general timber frame builds tend to move as a whole downwards but no idea if this is true.

The stud work is a little wider, 600 rather than 400 but they are using 4x4 timber rather than 4x2. Conrete backer board in wet areas and 15mm waterproof gypsum.

Any advise guys?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Make sure you have perimeter expansion joints and tile with flexi adhesive.. Just like tiling stud walls.. Might be worth thinking about Dural WP anti crack mat if worried about excessive timber shrinking on the walls.. but most of these builds are sheeted with kiln dried boards..So really only the framing should shrink..

Has any heat been put into the house yet.? this will help with that first timber shrink.. but as you know all new builds are prone to timber shrinkage when first heated..

O

ORTiling

Thanks Dave,

Yes will be using flexi adhesive and grout, 2mm expanssion joints on perimeters. As far as I know all timber used on the build is kilm dryed, I know the roof went on this one very quick so hopefully timber shrinkage will be minimal.

Im starting this tomorrow, I doubt the heating will be on until Im nearly done and on the ground floor working in the kitchen.

J

jay

Just make sure in the areas to be tiled the sheets are screwed every 200mm up the studs

Reply to Timber frame new build and Porcelain in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen