Currently reading:
tiling stone mosiacs on wall do i need a sealent?

Discuss tiling stone mosiacs on wall do i need a sealent? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

aabbcc112233

hi there

im going to attempt to tile part of a kitchen wall in these mosaic tiles:

-do i need a sealer if so which one do you recommend
-do i seal them before i put them on the wall
-do i seal them before i grout them
- do i seal them after grouting

im going to be using white adhesive

thanks for any suggestions

Attachments

• tiles.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
O

Old Mod

Were you not advised to obtain sealer when you purchased them?

Natural stone should be sealed as rule both before and after grouting.
If this is a DIY job then it wouldn't hurt to seal them before u fix them either, this may help u to keep them clean as u work and prevent staining, but it's not necessary.
I'd seal again after fixing, maybe twice, once they've been thoroughly cleaned, and then sealed again after grouting.
Sealing periodically after that, so that kitchen and fat deposits can be more easily removed and kept to a minimum.

Best sealer I've encountered is Lithofin Stain Stop.
Very simple to use.
Follow instructions carefully, this is important.
If u do seal prior to fixing, and u lay them down to do so, do not let the seal pool in the face of the stone.

Good luck with the tiling, just as a side note, try and prep your walls so they are as flat as u can get them. With mosaic tiles they will reflect exactly the substrate behind.
So if the substrate is wavey (for want of a better description) your tiles will be wavey.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Co.Durham
Be careful what sealer you use if you seal before fixing , a solvent based sealer could soften the glue of the mesh on the back of those tumbled travertine mosaics, if you over apply and it seeps over the edges to the back...

I tend to just fix , then grout and seal afterwards but I work with stone a lot , do know what can and can't be grouted first etc..

So , I advise you fix them and keep working clean..

Once fixed , clean and dry , then seal with either a solvent based sealer or a water based sealer , following the directions on the bottle.

Then grout after the recommended time and again once cleaned off and fully dry , apply another coat and seal the grout as well.
And as I said , ALWAYS following directions on the bottle .

Reply to tiling stone mosiacs on wall do i need a sealent? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few ways to fix tile to bathroom walls. First you need to prepare the walls for tiling. Note that...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views

Advertisement