Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling onto warped worktop in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Martino

Hi i went to view a job a few days a go..Kitchen splashback. the worktops were solid oak. but the joiner has only oiled the topside and not the bottom. hence major cupping/warping...only option would be to shape the tiles to the worktop...how much gap would you guys reccomend 4mm?.....was thinking of reccomending a upstand to start and then tile off that but not sure if i would get the finish the same as the worktop..

any ideas?

W

White Room

How much has the work top warped, have you put a straight edge on it to see how bad it is.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i dont think there is a way of making a silk purse out of a pigs ear personaly,i wouldnt get involved and if you do get them to sign something to say its not your fault that it looks a mess

M

Martino

I have explained to the customer that tiling wont hide how bad the worktop is....i also asked if she wanted to change the worktops. she dont want to change them. maybe going to but the microwave in its place!!...need the extra cash atm so i want to do the job.was thinking of just siliconing a 3mm joint underneath......its wapred around 4-5mm and its biggest point

Reaction score
What are the tiles? Maybe start with a cut to work with the slope, if its do-able, 3/4's or so. Bit of messing about but if needs must

R

Rookery

It may be that once tiled, the bow in the worktop will be even more obvious. I'd want the worktop replacing.

S

Stef

I have solid wood work tops & I tiled on top of a 3mm spacer,
Never got round to siliconing the joint, kitchen fitted over 2yrs ago..

Could you not screw the work tops down into the units from the underside!!

I know it's not the done thing but it surely would be better than the warped work tops.

S

Stef

Oiling the underside ... never seen that done..?

When I purchased my work tops I was advised to oil all sides.
I put 5 coats on top & 4 on the bottom.

They are a pain in the backside, I'm looking to change them to Corian or something else..

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Oiling the underside ... never seen that done..?

Me neither ,I've got oak work tops,just done the top,been in around 4 years now as well,no warping at all,they are defo screwed underneath as well though

S

Stef

Me neither ,I've got oak work tops,just done the top,been in around 4 years now as well,no warping at all,they are defo screwed underneath as well though

You not had any bother with them screwed down?

I know they have to breathe, I was paranoid to fix them to the units.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I fitted solid oak worktops a number of times and have never oiled the under side. Only the overhangs of the doors or anything that might be on show.
Where is the dip? Is it over a unit or a free standing appliance?
I've also always screwed my tops down. You use angled brackets with slotted holes to allow for any slight expansion.

L

lmkitchens

Should be oiled underneath when fitted about 5 coats.

Shouldnt be crewed tight either, 6mm hole and lightly tightened to take up the tension!

Reply to Tiling onto warped worktop in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks