Discuss tiling onto slate in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
hello from a new member : ) hope to listen and learn much from you all.
I have a slate tile laid in concrete in a wetroom which is solid as f*** and really dont want to have to break it up. I want to tile over it. Possibly you will all tell me i should listen and learn, but maybe someone has an idea. I have tried and failed once already.
What suggestions to prep the tile to tile over? probably will use a small ceramic tile this time. its a little uneven and slight slope down to a long drainage channel. Its an outdoor bathroom on a camping site so gets a fair bit of traffic and i need it to be solid. I can afford the height but will need a solution also for the edge where it falls down to the drainage channel (stubbed toes etc.!)
Eternally grateful for any tips to prep the slate!!

D

Dumbo

We need picture of the drainage channel .
But thorouly clean your existing tiles with good quality tile cleaners from a company like lithofin to remove any soap scum or sealers used during installation, then smooth over using an exterior grade levelling compound such as ardex k301 or tilemaster exterior levelling compound then tile over .
I would recommend porcelain rather than ceramic in an exterior instal

Reply to tiling onto slate in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks