Discuss Tiling onto backing plaster, skim coat, or strip back and board? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

OllieM

-
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here - total novice in need of advice.
I’m retiling a shower room and removing the old tiles has taken the smooth plaster surface with them leaving what I assume is backing plaster. This is sound and level other than a few gouges. This wall is the opposite end to the shower so not directly in contact with water but am planning to tank it to be safe.
Question is can I tile onto this plaster or do I need to either remove it and cement board or skim coat first? If I need to skim, how long does this need to dry before I can tile it?
Attached are pictures of the wall in question, the top half will be tiled, the bottom half will be built out into a ledge box section and that tiled. Cheers.

Attachments

• FC301DDC-732C-43EC-9E39-ED822EEFBB7A.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 17
  • CA115948-9010-46EF-9E02-B48E022309D0.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 14
  • 1E47D9C2-A744-4423-8BD1-4DCB39D14388.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 17
  • 33E56C3B-589C-4EB8-8778-A554223DE750.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 16
P

Perfect Tiling

Hi Ollie.....if the tiles are within the limit for plaster (20kg/sq mtr) then you will be ok to tile over. I would use a tanking kit that has a supplied primer as some tanking won't stick to plaster.....it just peels off like a skin. Mapie do a tanking kit with a primer....water it down so it soaks into the plaster rather than sits on it

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
If its backing coat then i would prime and burn/float coat the surface with adhesive to create a key. Bonding coat is fragile/soft so won’t hold your tiles if you don’t get a stable topcoat.

OllieM

-
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, appreciate it. Tiles are fairly lightweight 25x20cm ceramics but maybe it’s better still start from scratch and know where I am.

Reply to Tiling onto backing plaster, skim coat, or strip back and board? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks