Search the forum,

Discuss tiling onto an allready tiled surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

Hi there Gravytrain

I've done this in the past but I personally would not recommend it. In my case it was a few tiles that came off when I had to remove a shower tray to repair the floor. I explained to the customer that this wasn't a good idea but he was prepared to take the risk, he was quite right in that the other tiles that were on top of tiles hadn't come off.

Unless you really need the work I would walk away. Explain to the customer that you are not prepared to guarantee the strength of the adhesive underneath the old tiles.

A

Aston

hi

there are 2 schools of thought out there regarding 'tile on tile'

There are fixers who will tile on tile - if you have a lot of tiling experience and you can read the job well and you are 100%confident/prove that the original substrate and tiles are in a excellent condition to support your new tiles and adhesive now AND years down the line, then it can be done. but even then, it tends to be ceramics on ceramics AND the fixer should be in a position to guarantee their work..

The problem is, there's lots of inexperienced/semi skilled tilers who dont know how to judge this scenario and my strong opinion is. if in doubt , then dont!! it would be a gamble and a wreckless gamble that could cause somebody to get hurt, especially from
large format porcelain and stone tiles falling down!! think of the damage they could cause to a child is it worth it??

so my opinion would be, unless you can 100% guarantee your work, then dont tile on tile..
1. imo, i dont think its a professional installation..
2.theres a greater chance of collapse ( and not always straight away!! but months, or a year or so down the line when the building gets older/deteriorates)
3. I'd rather lose a job and a few days wages, than lose my long term reputation!!

cheers
ed

T

Time's Ran Out

What happens if the original tiles have been fixed onto emulsioned plasterboard!
The weight of the new tiling is just within the guidelines ofskimmed plasterboard, but with having the original on as well you will be exceeding the ratios that the plaster supply companies will accept.
The onus will be on you to provide a guarantee for your work and the customer will swear blind he went with your evaluation as a tiling professional.

You may even find by insisting that the old tiling be removed, the customer will have extended faith in your ability.

G

gravytrain

hi

many thanks for your advice, i did try to convince the customer to have old tiles removed but he wasn't to be persuaded.
i must say i was a bit caught out as i've never known anyone else want this doing, i've ripped a few tiles on tiles off, but didn't quite know what to say to someone who actually wants to pay someone to stick tiles on tiles !!!
i will see if he accepts the quote but after reading what you guys have said i won't be tiling on tiles. there is quite a lot of other work as well.
if he wants me to do it he'll have to have the old tiles off or get someone else to do the tiling.

thanks again for your prompt and helpful advice

G

Gazrus

Customer is a young lass & I don't think she grasps the consequences of substrate failure, I have arranged to go see her tomorrow to explain the situation.
Unfortunately if she still insists on continuing with tiling over then I am going to pass on the job as it would be unprofessional of me to knowingly put someone at risk.
Will keep you posted on outcome, thanks for the response guys.

B

Bolter

lets put it in better terms gaz,if a tile falls off and hits a child inher bath do you think shes going to let you off the hook?

tell her to forget it is my advice mate,all the best

Correct, and I reckon the grout will hold large sections together, so likely half the wall will come down if it decides to. Gazrus you could of course provide her kids with safety helmets as a sort of after service freebie :)

T

TilerJames

Either walk away or insist that the bathroom needs stripping...too big of a risk just to stick em up on the recommendation of the customer.
Just reiterate in the nicest possible way that YOU are the tiler doing this day in day out and are all too aware of the weight and bonding issues with tile on tile.
At the end of the day if something were to happen, the buck stops with you regardless of whatever the customer might think or suggest at the time.

G

gr8 _Tiling

It is a risky situation gaz, as it was said before some tilers go ahead with it, using an adhiesive which has the ingrediants to hold tile on tile can be fine but its the history of whats going on behind thats worrying and not worth the risk!! if you really need the work maybe you could try talking her into a very cheap daywork price for the removing of tiles ;)

All the best
Garry

D

Deleted member 1779

I will agree that we have all seen it. We have all come across "tiles on tiles" Take this example....

29490_393754862013_617362013_4225158_3763292_n.jpg

Where you have white tiles laid over brown.

And I think the practice started back in the time when tiles were much lighter and thinner than they are today.
It seemed easier to work off an already flat surface. Just scratch the glaze and bed some adhesive onto the old tiles.

What concerns me is how EASY it is to pull both sets of tiles of the wall when removing multiple layers.
That tells me the bond is not so strong! When I pulled this lot off the wall there was a mix of weak and strong layers.
Not exactly uniform. And if I were to be bonding todays tiles to this mix? Hmmm not sure I would sleep at night !

Appreciate the customer has their views. Hope you can win them over with experience and advice.

Hi there Gravytrain

I've done this in the past but I personally would not recommend it. In my case it was a few tiles that came off when I had to remove a shower tray to repair the floor. I explained to the customer that this wasn't a good idea but he was prepared to take the risk, he was quite right in that the other tiles that were on top of tiles hadn't come off.

Unless you really need the work I would walk away. Explain to the customer that you are not prepared to guarantee the strength of the adhesive underneath the old tiles.

I would walk away regardless and let someone else get the bad name when it goes .... up

G

Gazrus

K lads n lasses just thought I'd give you an update on the tiling job I declined, I was chatting to a friend of hers last night & she informed me that she got someone else to do it & they tiled over the existing tiles. Apparently the job has turned into a nightmare, quite a few tiles have actually fell off, luckily no one was injured.
All the internal walls still have the old latted plaster on them, very risky tiling onto that too.
As you can imagine how relieved am I by declining the job.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
jeez,whatever happerned to the 'customers are always right' ,they are aint they,always right,come on all togeather now 'the costomer is always right'.now thats better:thumbsup:

the ammount of times you go to jobs and its 'you can do that' 'you can do this' or 'it will only take you a day'.or 'i know someone who did it,it was fine':yikes:

me,i just say 'best thing is mate/my dear, get them to do it,or even better,do it yourself,it real easy,honest':drool5::mad2:

i love these smilies:lol:

merit

TF
ive had this in the past where customers are adaments that tiling on top of tiles that have been for years without falling off will be fine
ive insisted on taking them off
one customer who wanted a tile on tile job stood in amazement as i took a spade to the existing tiles they wanted me to go on and they fell off in a matter of seconds,
all being blobed ,just grout holding them together
walk away or ask them to sign disclaimer, for me id run

Reply to tiling onto an allready tiled surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.