Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on floorboards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

purleyite

Hi,

I am about to Tile onto floorboards in an upstairs bathroom. Is there anything i need to lay first? Some sort of silicone or hardibacker board?? or can i go straight onto the floorboards. Obviously using flexible adhesive and grout.

Thanks.

R

Rich

Do not tile straight on to floor boards. The floorboards need to be screwed down into the joists (add noggins if needed) so that there is no movement what so ever, replace any that have any sign of water damage or rot. When the boards are TOTALLY secure you can then over board with a cement board like Hardie or No More Ply. These need to be glued and screwed down over the floor (make sure you read the manufacturers instructions)

Or you can remove the floor boards and replace with min 18mm boil and water proof marine grade ply, then over board with cement boards.

B

Brinkley

me too although i took up a floor the other week straight onto floorboards and it was stuck like xxxx
not trying to give ideas though so go with the above info

F

Foxtrot Oscar

me too although i took up a floor the other week straight onto floorboards and it was stuck like xxxx
not trying to give ideas though so go with the above info

It's not so much whether or not the adhesives sticks to it, it's how the substrate responds to the movement.

Reply to Tiling on floorboards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen