Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling on celcon lightweight blocks. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

easyt

I am making a shower plinth with celcon blocks This will be capped with ply to take the tray. I intend to tile flush to the underside of the tray on the plinth face. I will leave the plinth 9mm short of the edge of the shower base to allow tiles to be flush. Could I stick this row of tiles directly to the blocks or would I need to render.

P

paul flight

render would be best ! would not take to long to do and you will get a better fix . make sure you sbr prime the render .ok:thumbsup:

E

easyt

I could easily render it but was concerned about the effects on the support at the edge of the tray. I suppose though render is supportive.

W

White Room

As above, I would dry line, those blocks can be weak and start cracking with very little movement

D

david campbell

those are thermolight block and would probably dry the adhesive out to quickly:thumbsup:

E

easyt

I think you are right David. When I laid them as a base i brushed plenty of water on first. I have set them back to allow me to get a 6mm board on.

Easy T

P

paul flight

dont use plaster board any where near a shower base . if water gets to it the tiles will let go as it is not water proof. use backer board if you are going to line it

E

easyt

It you tile it properly plasterboard will not be a problem

In this situation Scottley agree with you. I will use a 6mm backing board as I need a small amount anyway to cover an existing pipe box out to align with a shallow wall build out to accommodate the new shower basin.

Easy T

S

Scott

If i had hardi id use that but nothing wrong with plasteboard. Its been used in untanked situations for years. Not all fail.

With the newer tanking product then its the way forward obviously

Reply to Tiling on celcon lightweight blocks. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks