Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling A Dimensional Lumber Island Base in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

Nightravyn

Hey all,

Just joined up as I'm in need of some advice.

So I built a base to attach my island cabinets to out of 2x6, and 1x6 boards. Now that I've got the island ontop of that, I was hoping to create a tile mosaic around the bottom of the island to cover up the 2x6s that create the base, as well as a 6" 'step' or footrest that juts out on the 'bar top' side of the island which will have the overhanging countertop.

I've read everywhere that I can't tile overtop of this dimensional lumber. I clearly can't change the base of this island now as i've tiled the floor around it, and i've got the cabinets installed ontop of it. Do I have any options for creating a tile mosaic (using broken pieces of the ceramic tile I used for the actual flooring)?

Would screwing a very thin (realistically as thin as I can find, as I hadn't accounted for this extra thickness in my plans, so it sort of throws everything off) piece of OSB/plywood to the dimensional lumber around the base and over the footrest area suffice?

I can snap a few photos if my description isn't good enough.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I

Ian

It will need overboarding before tiling, I'm sure cement boards go as thin as 4mm so that's the route I'd be going down. 6mm is the norm for hardibacker and others, that will be your cheapest solution if you can afford another 6mm.

N

Nightravyn

Took a little walk around my home depot today, and the thinnest thing I could find was a 1/4" Wonderboard Lite (cement backer board), would that suffice? Still isn't ideal for me, but if that will solve the problem, I can screw that against the dimensional lumber and tile onto it.

I've attached 2 photos, the step and around the whole base of the island will hopefully be the mosaic cracked tile as seen in the photo. Then over the large back vertical portion of the island I am hoping to do just some smaller 2 x 4" or similar subway esque tiles.

Will the Sureply backing that I've got against the back of the cabinets be enough for the backsplash type tiling there, or should I pull that off and put a piece of the wonderboard against that as well?

Thanks for everyone's comments and help.

IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0717.JPG

Reply to Tiling A Dimensional Lumber Island Base in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen