Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling a bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

adam_starkie

Hi,

I am new to tiling, as you can probably tell when you read further onto this message, anyway here is my problem.

I just had a new bathroom suit fitted, and cant afford to get a tiler in to tile it for me, so i have to get it done myself.

The problem I have is that I have tiled the back wall, with even cuts either side of the wall, so it look cemetrical BUT...

when i go to put a tile onto the corner of the wall to start the new wall and row of tiles...the tiles are a MILE out, they dont join up close to each other and i am stuck. the back wall which is tiled now, is straight, using a spirit level ..but no matter what I do the tiles will not join up from the side wall behind where the taps are to the tiles on the wall that is already tiled. What can I do about it ?

Any advice / info regarding this will be extremly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Adam

A

adam_starkie

I see what you mean.

Put a batton on the wall to create a straight edge then tile away from that and then put the cuts into the wall ......from the batton to the wall ... ?

meaning that the cut at the top of the tile might be longer than the cut at the bottom of the tile ? - sorry to sound so thick here, its just been chewing at me for ages ...plus the window is quite near to the wall that is miles away from the tiles

M

mikel

I see what you mean.

Put a batton on the wall to create a straight edge then tile away from that and then put the cuts into the wall ......from the batton to the wall ... ?

meaning that the cut at the top of the tile might be longer than the cut at the bottom of the tile ? - sorry to sound so thick here, its just been chewing at me for ages ...plus the window is quite near to the wall that is miles away from the tiles
That`s right. Never rely on walls being straight. Always use a spirit level to set battens and work off these. Good luck.

M

medlar

just a tip mate,if at the end of the wall you have around a half tile to cut,use the other half of the tile to start the next corner off (the return),that way keeping to what looks like a full tile,rather than half a tile,then a full tile which will look silly,best off making your cuts slightly bigger,then you can trim if needed,rather than find you cut to short and therefore waste a tile

Last edited by a moderator:
M

medlar

Whats the best way to assure that the tiles have stuck to the wall sufficiently? - the walls are so out of shape it worries me slightly. Maybe its first time tiling worry I dunno ....Do you guys check that they are on good enough, if so, how do I do this ?

PS

I tiled the first wall yesterday so its been round about 24hrs since they where put on.

when you fix your tile,dont just push it into the addy,push and TWIST it into place,then they will hold properly,also it may be worth inquiring what thickness the tiles are,and what sized serator (notched trowel) you are using

A

adam_starkie

just a tip mate,if at the end of the wall you have around a half tile to cut,use the other half of the tile to start the next corner off (the return),that way keeping to what looks like a full tile,rather than half a tile,then a full tile which will look silly,best off making your cuts slightly bigger,then you can trim if needed,rather than find you cut to short and therefore waste a tile

Thanks for that mate, it makes sense then im not wasting tiles cutting out the halves ...Cheers!

A

adam_starkie

when you fix your tile,dont just push it into the addy,push and TWIST it into place,then they will hold properly,also it may be worth inquiring what thickness the tiles are,and what sized serator (notched trowel) you are using

The tiles are 8mm tiles ...I am not using a trowel ...I am just shoveling it onto the wall ..and some on the tiles? But using a thing I bought from B&Q to score the addy so its not just flat to the wall ...cant remember what the tool is called

Maybe a Newbie mistake ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tiling a bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.