Currently reading:
Tiling a bathroom ceiling

Discuss Tiling a bathroom ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chubbywayne44

Hi this is my first post and i was hoping someone out there could help with advice.
i am considering tiling my bathroom ceiling which is only 4 square meter. i am a joiner by trade so the problem doesnt lie there.
what i need advice on is
has any body done this before did you use plywood, plaster board,???
what adhesive what grout
what were your results.
Basically can it be done so they dont fall off:yikes:.
if so please could you give advice to a struggling chippie:thumbsup:
thank you all
wayne

Hi Alan what do you think of the epoxy resin idea as a failsafe
have you ever tried to do this.????
sorry to be a pain but you seem to know your stuff
cheers

Never tried it, and couldn't say yes or no about it working, as I said, a decent flexible adhesive onto a decent board, the tiles in the pictures were smaller than yours, but thicker, we didn't have one tile fail and all the grouting was epoxy grout 5mm joints.

T

tfs

Hi mate,

if it was I would want to drop the ceiling a little so I could put in a new frame (needs to be rock solid and dwanged to the max) being 4mtr x 4mtr as you will know will need alot of braces from new frame into joists above, so these realy need to be solid too which, may not be the case at the minute. Remember it is not a standard ceiling now unlike paint or wallpaper, tiles and grout etc will not tolerate much deflection cuased by people walking above or slamming doors etc.

Issues in my opinion would be;

1. bounce in ceiling (existing or new)
2. bounce at other side of ceiling (joists etc)
3. Steam/ moisture
4. weight of tiles

suggestions;

1&2. Reinforce ceiling as much as possible (does depend on what above to an extent)
3. Be sure to fix a backer board to ceiling (12.5mm)
4. selct small tiles e.g. mosaic etc

In regards to fixing I would support tiles with deadman and board or screws and washers whilst the addy is drying. I would preffer to use a good fast setting adhesive such as kerraquick. I you are up for it then epoxy grout gives you even more peice of mind.

This type of work can be done and is not unheard of but when doing this work you rely on the existing ceiling/ floor above being sound. You just need to do as much prep as possible to ensure that the installation lasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tfs

as a fail safe i will epoxy resin a butterfly cavity fixing to the back each tile,
i wont be able to tighten it up but it will give a failsafe if the tile breaks free,
it will be time consuming but will give me piece of mind and the area is only 4mt square
hopefully that will do the trick.
what do you think?????

I personally wouldnt go to that bother in a basic dommestice installation. I would opt for smaller tiles or avoid tiling.

C

chubbywayne44

Hi mate,

if it was I would want to drop the ceiling a little so I could put in a new frame (needs to be rock solid and dwanged to the max) being 4mtr x 4mtr as you will know will need alot of braces from new frame into joists above, so these realy need to be solid too which, may not be the case at the minute. Remember it is not a standard ceiling now unlike paint or wallpaper, tiles and grout etc will not tolerate much deflection cuased by people walking above or slamming doors etc.

Issues in my opinion would be;

1. bounce in ceiling (existing or new)
2. bounce at other side of ceiling (joists etc)
3. Steam/ moisture
4. weight of tiles

suggestions;

1&2. Reinforce ceiling as much as possible (does depend on what above to an extent)
3. Be sure to fix a backer board to ceiling (12.5mm)
4. selct small tiles e.g. mosaic etc

In regards to fixing I would support tiles with deadman and board or screws and washers whilst the addy is drying. I would preffer to use a good fast setting adhesive such as kerraquick. I you are up for it then epoxy grout gives you even more peice of mind.

This type of work can be done and is not unheard of but when doing this work you rely on the existing ceiling/ floor above being sound. You just need to do as much prep as possible to ensure that the installation lasts.
I have a loft space above which is not used
as a fail safe i will epoxy resin a butterfly cavity fixing to the back each tile,
i wont be able to tighten it up but it will give a failsafe if the tile breaks free,
it will be time consuming but will give me piece of mind and the area is only 4mt square
hopefully that will do the trick.
what do you think?????

C

chubbywayne44

why not just use the plastic clading batoned to the cieling I did mine and it looks good and is easy enough to do, I used plain white but I think it comes in many colours and even marble look just a thought.

I know what you mean ive done that before on other jobs i like it
but the wife would like it tiled.
so one must be seen to try you know what i mean
cheers

T

tfs

The way you mention is not one I have come across before mate. Mechanicaly fixing is normally associated with larger, thicker tiles and is done with special clips.

I wouldnt use ply on the ceiling either mate it will be to unstable. The ceiling in my opinion will more than likely have more deflection than I would be happy with at this time. Some modern properties have only 2x4 joists on the ceiling which realy isnt ideal if it is ever walked on as this bend etc with any load. This is why I would fix new frame below existing ceiling. If you didnt want to build new ceiling, you could perhaps fix braces from existing ceiling to the common rafters this would help eliminate the chances of deflection in existing ceiling. (dont know what a structural engineer would think of that though)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aston

yes tiling a ceiling is possible.

1. simply treat the ceiling as if it were a floor but use mechanical fixings on the tiles!!
2. ensure the ceiling joists are free from deflection..this can be a bit of a task / headache because the ceiling joists into the ceiling space are not as thick compared to your 1st floor joists! the problem will arise more when your plodding around in the loft! if you have a loft conversion then this will have a supended floor which will help.
3. add extra strength by using 25mm wbp ply to the ceiling. again, ply adds strength, backerboards have different properties.
4. overlay with a suitable backer board for a stable surface.
5. use a flexable adhesive combined with mechanical fixings
6 as jay with exoxy grout
7 . good extractor fan!! and plenty of ventilation when possible

C

chubbywayne44

yes tiling a ceiling is possible.

1. simply treat the ceiling as if it were a floor but use mechanical fixings on the tiles!!
2. ensure the ceiling joists are free from deflection..this can be a bit of a task / headache because the ceiling joists into the ceiling space are not as thick compared to your 1st floor joists! the problem will arise more when your plodding around in the loft! if you have a loft conversion then this will have a supended floor which will help.
3. add extra strength by using 25mm wbp ply to the ceiling. again, ply adds strength, backerboards have different properties.
4. overlay with a suitable backer board for a stable surface.
5. use a flexable adhesive combined with mechanical fixings
6 as jay with exoxy grout
7 . good extractor fan!! and plenty of ventilation when possible

i should have said i am putting in a false ceiling using 4 x 2 the area is only 4 sq mt aprox 6' x 6' so to elimanate any vibration i wont put any hangers in

Reply to Tiling a bathroom ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can be found HERE but is quite long so not as easy to find specific posts. So tell us what you are up...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.