Discuss tiles lifting in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

charlie1

just had call. fitted around 10 m2 porcelain 60x60s (porcelaiosa) 3 weeks ago. substrate anhydrite screen... rubbed down and primed.... tiles are lifting??? all materials are butech. adhesive stuck to floor but not tile... any ideas? no pics yet!.... now all i can say is, adhesive has not skinned or anything like that... ?

Reaction score
Ok i was expecting you to say the bond between the adhesive and substrate , well was there any dust,wax or oil on the surface of the back of the tiles that may have INTERRUPTED the bond ?

G

Gazzer

Silly question but was the adhesive suitable for porcelain and was there UFH and has this been switched on ?

C

charlie1

no ufh and adhesive was suitable. yes..back skimmed. i noticed adhesive had a few lumps through it which i sived out

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I have just spoken to Mark ( Charlie 1) about this, it seems strange, to have a failure, I know Mark is very keen on doing things right, and can only think the adhesive was perished or a bad batch. Imo I think Butech rep should do some tests, good luck with it Mark.

T

Time's Ran Out

If you back skimmed the tiles was there any adhesive still on the backs - pictures required.

C

charlie1

Cheers everyone, I will find out and shed some light on it this week, If im at fault then i will take on the chin and learn something! Im baffled as to how this has happened, only thing i can think of that springs to mind is the adhesive was left in garrage and when i opened bag it had some lumps through it which i sived out.

Gary, yes, used high torque mixer as always.
Whitebeam, I did not have any reason to believe the matirials where out of date but good point.
Phill, Thanks for the call, much appreciated

Tbc...

C

charlie1

update, tiles where lifted by labourer on site ready for me to go back and tile. Retiled area today free of charge and guess what happened.... tiles failed again!! ... well not yet but i can tell they are failing. i managed to lift one by hand 5 hrs after setting! I think it must be dodgy adhesive

C

charlie1

What's the adhesive you're using?

all materials where butech... uploading pics shortly. Floor seems to ok however i suspect its going to fail again!! Informed customer of my concerns but they where happy with me to carry on and see what happens. :-s

Reply to tiles lifting in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks