Discuss Tile to Carpet strip in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

john306

Hi, I just finished my bathroom floor, but with backerboards, UFH, adhesive and tiles, the step up into bathroom is now just under an inch in height to floorboards on landing, it really isnt as bad as it sounds as the carpet/underlay on landing is over 1/2 inch in height.

Ive been looking for a strip that covers tile and has gripper to carpet but all I've found (tile shops/diy sheds) don't have anywhere near 1 inch height, anyone have an idea where I could get the 1 inch height strips please?

I've also read about the home made wood strip but would prefer the metal type if they do it.
Thanks

J

john306

Hi,
No, the distance from top of tile to floorboards is about 1 inch so need it to be 1 inch height so it can cover the top of the tiles and also nail/screw into floorboards.
The previous laminate flooring in the bathroom was just over 1/2 inch so a standard strip covered that ok.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Screw through the underlay if you can as this reduces the gradient

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I think you'd struggle to make an inch with anything generally available. I've only found ones that do upto about 15mm.
What depth underlay have you got? Could try a piece of PSE the same "depth" and fit this under the door bar. You can get PSE moldings at 10mm.
I know macten suggested going through the underlay, which essentially is the same concept of what i am suggesting. But timber would make the door bar more rigid. A "springy" door bar could damage the edge of the tile. I'm suggesting this in the event you don't have underlay close enough to where your door strip is being fitted also.

J

john306

Thanks, I have tried the Z bar in a local tile shop, we made up 1 inch in tiles to see if it would fit ok but it didn't, nowhere near to getting up to 1 inch.
Aligage, you might be on to something there, I'll look into it, cheers.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
PSE would be far cheaper and less hassle. I think a door stop moulding prehaps. It would be the right thickness and width. Just simply cutting to length.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Lol! Yep there's always offcuts kicking about my van. This is Johns first project though i think.

Reply to Tile to Carpet strip in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks