Search the forum,

Discuss The Rockdoc From Down Under in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dr Hans

Just thought that I should stir up the northern folks after their winter hibernation with an article that has resulted
in many a comment.

Pity that I cannot post the article - your programme greys out the desktop file. Anyone with suggestions on
how to get around this.

D

Dr Hans

so until I can post my article and give your readers a modicum of education I will continue to read about the magic of sealing and the high porosity of travertine. The scientific fact is that travertine is very dense with a very LOW porosity. The large holes are NOT porosity. And sealing a low porosity stone with an "impregnating" sealer that does not impregnate the dense travertine is stupid and a waste of money

D

Dr Hans

Here goes.

Attachments

• DrHans unwelcome truths (1)LH for pdf.pdf
    207 KB · Views: 27
D

Dr Hans

If it doesn't open let me know and I will just send you the article in morsels by cutting and pasting

D

Dr Hans

It's a fairly interesting article. Do you tend to not seal most stone tiles then?
The decision to seal or not to seal and what to seal with depends on many factors. I had hoped that I had outlined many of the parameters that go into making that decision. It largely depends on the type of stone and what the application is. Determining and understanding the natural characteristics of a particular stone is often difficult for most people because that information is only available to a few. Sadly, the dominant view is that "Stone is stone". How wrong !!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I must be honest I hadn't time to read all the article.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind posting it in a reply so people don't need to download it fully? Not all devices will allow downloading of PDF's etc.

O

Old Mod

The decision to seal or not to seal and what to seal with depends on many factors. I had hoped that I had outlined many of the parameters that go into making that decision. It largely depends on the type of stone and what the application is. Determining and understanding the natural characteristics of a particular stone is often difficult for most people because that information is only available to a few. Sadly, the dominant view is that "Stone is stone". How wrong !!!

Interesting read.
I'm currently laying a 20mm thick limestone to an outside area, it has a concrete substrate which will be overlayed with 'Ditra Drain' are u familiar with Schluter products? (It's a drainage matting) Then the Limestone to be laid with adhesive on top.
Recommendations?

J

J Sid

I must be honest I hadn't time to read all the article.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind posting it in a reply so people don't need to download it fully? Not all devices will allow downloading of PDF's etc.
Really?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Interesting read.
I'm currently laying a 20mm thick limestone to an outside area, it has a concrete substrate which will be overlayed with 'Ditra Drain' are u familiar with Schluter products? (It's a drainage matting) Then the Limestone to be laid with adhesive on top.
Recommendations?

Recommendations please dr hans

Reply to The Rockdoc From Down Under in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen