Currently reading:
The price of materials!

Discuss The price of materials! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bal

Just an idea for the people that run this site and wether or not tilers want it aswell !The setting up of something like a price comparison section on the forum for adhesive and grouts .Members could update the prices say what make the product is where they have seen it and which store small or large player. Materials are a massive part of tilers expenses and out goings , in this present climate every penny counts.

O

Olz

Its a good idea in theory but every one gets different discount levels. I get a really good rate at my supplier my mate also uses the same one but doesnt get the rates I do, likewise another place I use occasionally for bathroom suites give me a reasonable discount but the guys that use it every week in and out get more discount.

So in other words I might put a price up at my supplier and you might get a better or worse rate than me if you get my drift. :thumbsup:

D

Daz

It's a good idea, but IMO, totally unworkable.

I negotiate pricing everytime I walk into a suppliers. I always play one supplier and / or manufacturer off against another.

I got a really good price on Mapei Keraquick (or so I thought) the other day, until Dave advised me that "it was alright" but he pays over a quid per bag less than me - :mad2:.

If you're happy with the price you pay for materials and price them into a job then your margins should be the same regardless.

B

bal

It's a good idea, but IMO, totally unworkable.

I negotiate pricing everytime I walk into a suppliers. I always play one supplier and / or manufacturer off against another.

I got a really good price on Mapei Keraquick (or so I thought) the other day, until Dave advised me that "it was alright" but he pays over a quid per bag less than me - :mad2:.

If you're happy with the price you pay for materials and price them into a job then your margins should be the same regardless.
The fact that dave advised you ment you still had to talk about it to someone else , thats why i say have a central access point for tilers!

B

bal

Your correct in your comments Bal, but to clarify, Dave and I were discussing other matters and it came up in conversation.
I was happy that I had priced the materials into the job that I was doing so by getting a better price meant that I made even more dosh :thumbsup:.
Know what your saying , just think in this climate and the amount of money spent on adhesives its the only area where money can be scraped back!

D

Daz

Know what your saying , just think in this climate and the amount of money spent on adhesives its the only area where money can be scraped back!

You're absolutely right, but surely your benchmark is the last price that you paid, and not what someone else pays from a different supplier in a different part of the country?

Just keep negotiating with your suppliers to get the deal that you think is great.

T

Time's Ran Out

I thought adhesive prices were coming down. Not especially the large names but the ones trying to make inroads to the market.
You have to shop around to get a good price but once youv'e found that quality product does price really come into it - confidence , ease of use, availability just a couple of reasons to 'stick' with your brand.
My local tile distributor CTD. have monthly specials and thats the time to buy, as well as the trade days (extra discount available and free bacon butties)

Captain - did Dave tell you how much I could buy a Bath Board for! I'am going to try and play one off against the other.:thumbsup:

John.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
For me I only use Topps. After 16 months of being a tiler I have built up a relationship with my local branch. I am now one of their Topps Approved fitters. My loyalty to then has brought me a lot of calls from customers for quotes (because my cards are being given out by Topps). I don't hunt around for special prices. However, if I saw a good deal on a product I use I would go out of the way and purchase it from wherever. BTW has anyone logged onto the Topps Trade website (link on normal website). You can check out your trade discounts online. Very useful when pricing jobs. So I think it's a good idea to compare prices or just have a thread titled 'Materials - special deals/prices' or something like that. Good idea BAL Sean

D

Daz

post pics to show what he missed out on...:lol:

I've yet to varnish "her" up, but here "she" is in all her glory.....

captain-slow-albums-my-lovely-bathboard-picture4798-06062009-002.jpg

captain-slow-albums-my-lovely-bathboard-picture4799-06062009-003.jpg

Reply to The price of materials! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.