Search the forum,

Discuss Take Our Quick Survey, Automatically Win A Beanie in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

magga

TF
Reaction score
Whilst on the subject of Hardiebacker, where can we get the circular saw blades?! I find this a nightmare to cut with the carbide scorer.

I have also filled out the survey!

magga

TF
Reaction score
Cheers, will look at that, how do those blades hold up against it over time? Yeah, it is nasty stuff that dust. I bloody hate the score and break method, not too bad if you've got enough board both sides to lever the break, but if you're just cutting a tiny bit off, it's impossible sometimes.

O

Old Mod

Cheers, will look at that, how do those blades hold up against it over time? Yeah, it is nasty stuff that dust. I bloody hate the score and break method, not too bad if you've got enough board both sides to lever the break, but if you're just cutting a tiny bit off, it's impossible sometimes.
I tend to wear out blades faster than I fit Hardie, so I've always got an old few blades knocking about.
I don't have a designated blade, just any old crap laying around tbh! Haha

J

JamesHardie

Whilst on the subject of Hardiebacker, where can we get the circular saw blades?! I find this a nightmare to cut with the carbide scorer.

I have also filled out the survey!

There are a couple of tricks when cutting HardieBacker to make it easy. Putting pressure on the board, while lifting up make the cuts easier. Here is a video of how to cut 12mm backer into smaller pieces. View: https://youtu.be/SPrFxkO5VA4

If you still would prefer to use a saw blade, try the HardieBlade. Available in sizes of 160, 190, 254, and 305mm. Our customers use it for cutting HardiePlank and HardieFloor, but could easily be used for backer. It's specially designed to cut fibre cement, and lasts a long time (assuming you don't use it to cut a piece of wood another time.)

Any HardieBacker retailer can order them for you, but if you provide me your postcode I can check to see who in your area currently stocks them.

magga

TF
Reaction score
I've seen the videos, but say you want an L shaped piece, you can't use this method.

CTD, where I get my Hardiebacker from don't stock this blade, as I have asked them.

I will message you my postcode, thanks.

J

JamesHardie

can I ask a question, hardie isn't as readily available over here as it is over there and I don't know the answer to this question, but is it or are there any backer boards out there that are strong enough to mount fixings on after walls are tiled so fittings won't pull of walls.Believe it or not but it's one of the main stumbling blocks for me when I'm trying to persuade builders to use backer boards instead of plywood? I get the reply, "we've been using it for years with no probs"

I think your question is a good one regarding mounting fixings on after walls are tiled. I've spoken with our technical manager, and we will have this application tested with the BRE. There is a machine there that we can access to do a pull through test, and test a range of fixings to see if we can put together a warranted spec. Let us work on this and come back to you.

magga

TF
Reaction score
I think hollow wall anchors are the way to go, you'd need a lot of force to pull one of those through. You just have to flatten the spikes on the front so it sits flush against the tile.

Reply to Take Our Quick Survey, Automatically Win A Beanie in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen