Currently reading:
Sufficient tiling for over-bath shower?

Search the forum,

Discuss Sufficient tiling for over-bath shower? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rosebead

My local council recently part-refurbished some of the flats on my council estate - below is a picture of my refurbished bathroom. According to my council the shower hose is meant just for washing hair. My council decided against mounting shower heads in all of the refurbished bathrooms because not all flats were going to be getting new boilers and the council wasn't sure there'd be enough water pressure for a shower in flats without new boilers. However my flat was lucky to get a new boiler and the water pressure is more than adequate for a shower so I'm thinking of mounting the shower head and putting a shower screen - do you think the tiling around the bath is adequate for a shower though? Are painted walls sufficient protection against shower spray?

IMAG0342.jpg

D

Deleted member 9966

How bizarre that the council didn't want you to use the area as a shower, yet they've tiled all the way to the ceiling, making it look like you could stand there under a shower... I love councils, not.

I had a very similar layout in my old housing association house, and we used a circular shower rail off the tap end wall, and 2 shower curtains on it so that there wouldn't be much water spray on to the painted walls.

D

Deleted member 9966

The problem being there is no such thing as a standard white. Shades will vary as will the sizes from manufacturer to manufacturer.

this is very true Sir Ramic.

Rosebead, if you want to extend your tiles further along the wall, I suggest you act fast and contact the council or their contractors to obtain more tiles from the same manufacturer and preferably the same batch.

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
this is very true Sir Ramic.

Rosebead, if you want to extend your tiles further along the wall, I suggest you act fast and contact the council or their contractors to obtain more tiles from the same manufacturer and preferably the same batch.

Didnt I say that ? See above.

R

rosebead

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Guess I have no choice but to extend the tiles. The tiles are Johnson Prismatic gloss white 6"x6" tiles - I know because they left a box and a half of the tiles along with a pile of rubbish in my hallway that no one cleared away despite several requests - guess I'll be using those tiles then.

Is there any easy way of removing the trim without damaging adjoining tiles, or will those tiles have to go?

Yeh I agree GirlRacerRed, it is bizarre that they would tile all the way up to the ceiling near the taps but not at the other end of the bath - I don't get the reasoning either.

Reply to Sufficient tiling for over-bath shower? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.