Search the forum,

Discuss Steam Cleaning Slate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

NikNak

We have had a wonderful black cleft slate kitchen floor (unsealed/no enhancement) for the past 12 months, and have little issue keeping it clean thus far.

We're considering using either Lithofin Slate Seal or Colour Enhancer (depending on results of patch testing left over tiles), and are wondering if purchasing a domestic steam cleaner would be wise to make cleaning the floor a bit easier/quicker than the good old mop & bucket we currently use.

Advise on steam cleaner if we chose not to seal the tiles also appreciated.

Thanks.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi, steam cleaner probably fine on the unsealed tiles, do test, keep it to minimum. Would speak to manufacture for suitabilty

If you use the slate seal , would steer away from the steam. Topical sealers can be affected by the heat and water turning topical products white. Had quite a few floor like this in the last few years

Again with your impregnators ( colour enhancers) would poss stay clear . As breathable impregnators in some areas when the product starts to break down. Water/ steam is passed through and I have also had many of these going patchy, this can then water stain ( being trapped under/ through the impreg) and is a little problematic to rectify.

With any sealer/ impregnator use the correct cleaning aftercare and tiles should be nice and easy to maintain

Hope this may help. Cheers

N

NikNak

BOB!

Thank you, that's great.
Think we might just leave them nice & natural! Having read through a few other posts, seeing peoples issues with sealants & impregnators not quite going right and then the ensuing stripping & cleaning etc, we don't want to risk damaging what we already love.

Thanks again,

Reply to Steam Cleaning Slate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen