Search the forum,

Discuss Starting a wetroom project (Help needed) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

little ed

Hi all,

Ive been viewing lots of threads lately on this and i want to get it right first time. I will be starting a wet room very shortly and i want to use the correct and quality products for the job.

The bathroom is currently dry lined apart from the area that will be tanked for the wetroom. I have spoken to the plumber that is there and i mentioned backer board, i am looking at hardibacker 500.

Like i say i dont just want rubbish to be used on the job i want to specify what i want fitting. Could you recomend a good quailty former, backer board tanking kit and adhesives etc.

The floor is currently floor boards am i right in taking these up and boarding the floor out? i wasnt going to take the floor up but i have since been thinking about the step that would be created by overboarding adhesive ufh tiles etc.

Could anyone recomend the best products to use for this task.

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for the basic questions.

Ed

C

C&S

As there have been no replies, I hope I am doing the right thing here...
Speak to Schluter in Coalville, they will have a list of Tilers who have been trained to fit wet rooms. As they also sell all the kit for them, they can point you in the right direction to buy it.
I think their number is 01530 813396, but google it to be sure. They may even have a link off this forum.
Good Luck

L

little ed

Hi there thanks for the info, I take it they have tilers details for all different areas of the country??

Thanks once again

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Take the floor up ed,put noggins in to strengthen it, reboard in ply,15mm or above a d board over with hardie.
You could board the shower out in plasterboard then tank it,i don't see the point in using hardi backer,unless its a weight issue, it won't break down if it gets wet but if it gets wet its done wrong and buggered anyway, so plasterboard it, tank it tile it.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ps if the floor is solid you could just put 6mm hardi over it instead of taking it all up

C

C&S

Hi there thanks for the info, I take it they have tilers details for all different areas of the country??
Thanks once again
They train tilers from all over the UK then they keep a database of the people that have done the course that they can pass on to people such as you who need the work doing.

C

Ceramico tiling

Ive always preferred using the fibreglass/foam backer boards like Wedi as they are a water barrier and only need to be taped /tanked in corners and joints.

L

little ed

Hi guys thanks very much for the replies, its all appreciated. I think i will take the old floor up just so that i can reduce the height a bit, therefore reducing the step into the bathroom.

As for the noggins do they need to be the same depth as the joists? also where do the noggins need to be spaced at?

Would people recommend gluing and screwing the ply down or just screwing?

Thanks again.

I do have plumbers in at the monent but i want to do as much of the work that i can do myself. I have be shown tanking on the tiling courese i did but unfortuently i havent managed to get any experience hence the basic questions.

Thanks again guys
Ed

Reply to Starting a wetroom project (Help needed) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen