Search the forum,

Discuss Splashback problem in a bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chrisbez

Hello to all! I'm a newbie here, looking for some advice on a small problem I can't solve!

I am finishing my bathroom project, which is a complete revamp! I have installed fitted units all along one wall with inset washbasins in the worktop. I am putting a splashback along the worktop, one tile high, 330 x 250 tiles on end. However, there is an offset window over the units, i.e - 725mm wall - 1190mm windowsill - 680mm wall = 2600mm overall wall width (approx!).

My problem is setting out. If I set the tiles for an equal cut on the sill, then I get a very narrow cut on the right side - 20mm. If I equalise the wall end cuts, the windowsill end cuts are unequal. I know narrow cuts are taboo (I've been reading on the site!) but I've been perusing this problem for two days now, my wife would like the tiles stuck on the wall, instead of propped up as they are now!

Any help or suggestions from "those who know" would be great!

Thanks,

Chris B.

C

chille

its a tough one, you just have to find a compromise that looks good. Failing that how about adding a couple of mosaic borders running vertically to help balance the cuts, or fixing the tiles in landscape perspective may work.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Uneven cuts on the windowsill aren't a big problem as long as they are big cuts, Or as above put a couple of mosaic strips in

C

craigdon

Compromise is the word, it boils down to what you are most happy with. When setting out for tiling you very rarely get a complete ideal. It then becomes a judgement call as to where you make the compromise.

D

DHTiling

Have you tried setting from center point on window and center point on the wall with tile edge and tile center . this will give you 4 options of setting out.

P

Perfect Tiling

When you get the 20mm cut at the right side...that will be with a joint line central to the window. If you set out with a full tile central to the window you move everything by 125mm and lose the 20mm cut but will end up with equal small cuts at the window edges. It depends what you prefer. You don't say how high above the worktop the window is...you may only end up with small cuts that are only a short way down from the top...hope this makes sense.

Reply to Splashback problem in a bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen