Search the forum,

Discuss Silicone problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
John, is your kitchen tap one of those mixer taps that swivel around? They can quite often leak. Do you think this could be part of the problem? If you are dead against silicone then how about bath trim? I saw some the other day in Focus Diy, but I'm sure B&Q and the other sheds have the same product. This trim is stuck to the wall tiles and the work top. However, the walls & worktop have to be really dry or else it won't stick. Failing that I have in the past used Homelux plastic trim & silicone behind a kitchen sink. This is because the worktop had partly rotted away. Good luck. Sean

T

The D

also this is not bad [video]http://www.*************/p/no-nonsense-sanitary-silicone-white-310ml-pack-of-12/38910[/video] screw-fix no nonsense

Last edited by a moderator:

jindru

TF
Reaction score
any silicon used where water is present should use a sanitary silicon. screwfix give a varied choice about a tenner a tube.i use microban keeps mould free for years. there is a plastic moulding that clips on to a fixed rail it is expensive and crumbs etc still work under it.i would go for good sanitary silicon its cheaper and easier to maintain.best of luck

J

JOHNJO14

Thank you all so much, the grout between the tiles in the shower has also gone mouldy (from the bottom row of tiles up to the 4th row) Is there anything i can use to clean this, or should i regrout them.
John

J

JOHNJO14

John, is your kitchen tap one of those mixer taps that swivel around? They can quite often leak. Do you think this could be part of the problem? If you are dead against silicone then how about bath trim? I saw some the other day in Focus Diy, but I'm sure B&Q and the other sheds have the same product. This trim is stuck to the wall tiles and the work top. However, the walls & worktop have to be really dry or else it won't stick. Failing that I have in the past used Homelux plastic trim & silicone behind a kitchen sink. This is because the worktop had partly rotted away. Good luck. Sean

Thank you Sean, yes the taps are the mixer type, they don't leak but they spatter water constantly onto the area behind the sink.
That stick on trim sounds like it might be a good idea, i will think it over.
I have a problem with the grout going mouldy between the lower rows of tiles in the shower, any ideas on that ?
Regards John

jindru

TF
Reaction score
you can use bleach with a scrubbing brush as long as your tiles arnt painted .bleach will take colour out. if a major clean doesnt work regrout. its a slow job but if you take your time it will look like new stick on your ipod and switch off from boredom.

G

Gall.B

yeah can use in shower, the bal microban is good to, think the mapei has more colours not sure though.

G

Gall.B

citric acid or bicarbonate of soda is good for cleaning white grout, dont like using bleach on glazed tiles.

Reply to Silicone problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen