Search the forum,

Discuss Should I tile a non-straight wall straight? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mpajones

Hi

Got a bit of a struggle going on between my head and my gut with this one.

I'm just about to start tiling a wall in my bathroom, but on mounting my baton horizontally, it has come screamingly to my attention that the floor and window are really quite far off the horizontal. It's a 100+ y.o. Victorian house, which I'd never expect to be straight anyway, but want to make sure that the tiling looks spot on.

IMG_1481.JPG IMG_1484.JPG

What's the best way to handle this? If I tile on the level, the the window is going to look pretty darn odd, but if don't, then when the bath goes in (which will be horizontal), that'll look like it's on the( Removed bad language)

What's the best plan here?

Cheers
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Always tile level, otherwise you will have issues elsewhere. Is the window unit level and plumb ?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As above, tile level but try to get a set out that gives you large cuts at either end of the wall and around the window too which should help hide the flaws in the wall. Bigger tiles can often help too. Your grout lines will need to be level and plumb though or else it'll really be an eyesore.

M

mpajones

Ok thanks!

Unfortunately the window unit is neither level nor plumb. It goes out about 10-15 mm in a vertical dimension across the width, and a similar amount horizontally over the height.

I'm refitting archtrave etc once the tiling is done, so can maybe make a visual "adjustment" with that.

Cheers for the advice (and sorry for the bad language in the original post!)
Matt

M

Michael kiss

If this was my house i would take the window out and put it back in plumb, then level reveals

Reply to Should I tile a non-straight wall straight? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen