Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Shocking New build tiling. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

NWB Tiling

This is the 2nd anniversary of moving in to my Wimpey new build. When we first moved in all looked ok. However after recently doing a tiling course the actual qaulity of tiling in our on -suite is actually pretty poor. Ranging from poorly cut tiles to raised uneven field tiles.
Is this common ?

The silicone has also developed back mould spots. Neighbours are also seeing similar mould issues.

Is this primarly due to cheap product? We were shown to use BAl Microban silicone i assume this would still be mould free after 2 years ?

Also i am thinking of re-grouting but after reading the forum digging out the old grout seems a tad labourerous and i don't won't to damage the tiles.

I have read about aqua mix to rejuvenate the grout could someone elablorate on how to use it....

Cheers

Nige:8:

G

GazTech

This is the 2nd anniversary of moving in to my Wimpey new build. When we first moved in all looked ok. However after recently doing a tiling course the actual qaulity of tiling in our on -suite is actually pretty poor. Ranging from poorly cut tiles to raised uneven field tiles.
Is this common ?

The silicone has also developed back mould spots. Neighbours are also seeing similar mould issues.

Is this primarly due to cheap product? We were shown to use BAl Microban silicone i assume this would still be mould free after 2 years ?

Also i am thinking of re-grouting but after reading the forum digging out the old grout seems a tad labourerous and i don't won't to damage the tiles.

I have read about aqua mix to rejuvenate the grout could someone elablorate on how to use it....

Cheers

Your silicone won't be Bal microseal if you have black mould in it (aspergillus niger). We do have a product which will save raking out the grout.....Gaz

93937aeb3acf15200696fffd174b3bad.jpg

• Contains Microban® antibacterial protection: for extra hygiene
  • Inhibits growth of bacteria and black mould
  • Water-resistant

N

NWB Tiling

Childs play it is....

I'll look to do my shower first and re -silicone then do a little promotion with the neighbours !

Cheers Gaz

D

DHTiling

Not to be used in power showers though....:thumbsup:

BAL Microrevive with built-in Microban® antibacterial protection
renews the appearance of existing wall grouts whilst providing an
added level of hygiene protection in kitchens, bathrooms and
food consumption areas. Suitable for interior use only. It is water resistant
but not suitable for use in power showers or where
prolonged or permanently damp/wet conditions exist

D

DHTiling

Never used the Aquamix stuff so can't comment.....is the grout dirty or just needs cleaning....lithofin do a grout cleaner.....
Also is it a power shower you have..?..

L

LM Ceramics

typical new house building we used to tile wimpey homes as well when i was working for a tiling firm the materials are basic everything is rough on new builds

i bet your tiles arent spaced neither probably but jointed its not just your house most major builds are all the same. we were on £9 m2 some tilers i knew could blitz a plot a day its a poor habit house bashing and some of the experience tilers are bringin there house bashing "skills" with them on the domestic market which is not a good sign

G

GazTech

Ah,

What else would suggest to use in that case ?

Nige
Sorry Nige, if you have a power shower, as Dave rightly points out ( thanks Dave) it isn't suitable. Your only course of action is either rake out and use Microflex or easypoxy grout.
You could try an epoxy paint on solution....again not sure if suited to power showers, consult the manufacturer for details

N

NWB Tiling

Dave,
The grout is yellowing / off white and cracked in places.

LM,

Out of interest would the shower cubicle be tanked ?

365drills,

I;ll see if i can take some pics.

Thanks

L

LM Ceramics

Dave,
The grout is yellowing / off white and cracked in places.

LM,

Out of interest would the shower cubicle be tanked ?

365drills,

I;ll see if i can take some pics.

Thanks

tanked i doubt it they will use the cheapest materials going

P

penno

Get on the phone to Wimpy and get them to take a look. May be 2 years ago but you never know you may get it sorted, if the tiling is that bad then it should have been snagged, it is their fault.
Have a look at some neighbours houses, if there tiling is spot on then you have more of a case to argue as yours isn't of the same standard.

Reply to Shocking New build tiling. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks